My Tracks

Cattledog1969

Reaction score
My Tracks is all over the place. If I go on walk routes that I've done a 100 times before , and have been monitoring the track locations, time, distance for entertainment mostly. For the past 2 weeks its showing a totally messed up Tracks. Not just a ¹/10th over 5 miles, it's Mile(s) off, and the tracks show places I didn't goto.

I was thinking of removing the App and reloading it. If I do that can I save my tracks history to internal or SD card and get it back into the newly loaded App?

Anyone ever have this problem ???

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

grgguy

Reaction score
I use Google's Latitude and it also is inaccurate . I can be sitting at home and it will have me on the other side of town(also over 5 miles). I'd be very interested in the fix for your problem as it may help with mine.

nmos

Reaction score
I use Google's Latitude and it also is inaccurate . I can be sitting at home and it will have me on the other side of town(also over 5 miles). I'd be very interested in the fix for your problem as it may help with mine.

I don't know about cattledog's problem (sounds like his GPS is just loosing lock) but in your case I think you're seeing the cell network based location rather than GPS. My phone switches to this mode whenever the screen is off so Lattitude, as well as most weather apps etc show me at a cell tower about 10 miles away unless I refresh them manually. Some apps such as My Tracks force the GPS to stay on even with the screen off but this really sucks battery.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

grgguy

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply . I suspected what you said about Latitude using cell towers for location. Why though would Google offer a location based app that is highly inaccurate ? One would hope they would fix this . .

OP
Cattledog1969

Cattledog1969

Reaction score
When I set up my Network extender, the tech person from VZW told me the GPS antenna on the extender uses cell towers to triangulate it's 911 location, Not satellites.

I still want to save all "My Tracks" and hopefully reload them. It gave me export options but I don't know what one to use.

OP
Cattledog1969

Cattledog1969

Reaction score
This is what my export options look like.

I don't know what any of this means.

Shouldn't it say Export to SD Card or something more recognizable??

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
They look like different formats, like exporting as TXT, Word Doc or Excel. In this case they appear to be used for GPS equipment.

GPX= GPS eXchange Format
KML= Keyhole Markup Language
CSV= Comma-Separated Variables (Early format that can be used for a lot of things. For example: 2000,Ford,F150 for Year,Make,Model)
TCX= Similar to GPX, but created by Garmin

On the app is there an import option? If so, see what choices of formats it uses. It may be possible for you to export (which creates a file on your SD card), uninstall & reinstall the app and finally import the file. I did that with the app aCar (car expenses app) when I went from my OG Droid to my Bionic.

Last edited:
OP
Cattledog1969

Cattledog1969

Reaction score
When I selected Import, it was asking about GPX files on the SD card. So I'm gonna try the defaulted GPX setting and see what happens.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good, I hope it works.

Just to be safe, use a file manager program (like Astro) to make a copy and put it somewhere on your SD card. That's in case the GPX file gets deleted.

Since this happened a couple of weeks ago, did you add an app or make a change then? That may be what's causing the problem.

Last edited:

z96Cobra

Reaction score
You can go into Settings->Locations & Security and UNcheck Google Location Services & VZW Location Services. Make sure Standalone GPS is checked and then try using My Tracks again. I'm not positive it will fix your issue but it's simple enough to try.

OP
Cattledog1969

Cattledog1969

Reaction score
I just got the Max HD, it's a really nice phone:) I was able to send all my gpx My Tracks to SD card. All the tracks from the bionic are in there but I can't get them to load from SD card into the app.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to do??