My Razr HD is stuck at DUAL CORE screen

BlueNGray

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
(Sorry if this thread shows up twice; I tried earlier, and couldn't tell if it was actually submitted.)

Phone is running KitKat release 182, and was purchased from Verizon almost exactly 2 years ago, so it's out of warranty.

Problems started when I inserted a Telstra (Australia) SIM card. The phone seemed to mostly work ok, but when it booted I got a notice that the SIM was from an unrecognized source. Still, since I could place and receive voice, text and data connections, I wasn't too worried.

Yesterday, when I tried to activate the phone with the power switch, nothing happened. When I rebooted, with Power + Vol Down, it went to the DUAL CORE screen and never finished booting. So I did the Power + Vol Down until the DUAL CORE screen went away again, and then hit Power + Vol UP + Vol Down to bring up the menu (Normal boot, Recovery, Fastboot, Clear Cache, Utilities, I think). Everything except the Utilities resulted in going back to the DUAL CORE screen. Furthermore, I couldn't even turn the phone off with the power button.

Next, I switched the SIM card back to the original Verizon one. Same symptoms.

OK, time to contact Moto.

First agent I talked to recommended that I run the battery down to get the phone to turn off, then gave me the sequence to clear the cache. So I ran the battery down. Of course I had to plug in the charger to get it to the point that I could try to clear the cache. As soon as there was enough power in the battery, the phone went back to DUAL CORE screen, and could only be changed by going to the menu (the one I reported above).

Next chat with Moto support, I was told to press and hold Power + Vol Down for at least 2 minutes. After doing so, I could no longer get the menu I was getting before. His next suggestion was basically to send the phone in for replacement. This is not a good prospect right now, so I'm here on the forums (where I probably should have been asking to begin with) looking for suggestions. Are there any debugging tools (e.g., ADB) that I can use to access the phone to find out what is wrong?

Thanks for any help.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
This does not sound good.

It sounds to me like a hardware failure that (probably) had nothing to do with the SIM.
If it won't even boot into Recovery = bad.
I hate to suggest you head over to yet another site, but I think your best shot at getting some help would be at Droidrzr:
VZW Droid Razr Razr Maxx HD XT926-CDMA LTE - DroidRzr.com
(Click CONTINUE on the next screen)

OP
B

BlueNGray

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Thanks, PereDroid. I had a sinking feeling there might be a hardware failure involved. I'll definitely follow up on your pointer.

Thanks again.

mdb007

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Droid HD
I just had something happen to my Moto HD last night. It has been ok lately but a little slow and has on occasion froze when i unplugged from charger. Has also rebooted itself a 6-7 times this year as well for no reason.so as I was leaving work the notification banner from Clean master said there was a lot of junk. so went to clean out system cache etc which totaled about 700mb. it started cleaning and right toward the end the screen went blank. waiting about 30 seconds and nothing so tried a force reboot and ended up on the dual core screen. I have tried recovery, factory reset and even fast boot, nothing has worked. I am going to stop in Verizon store to see if they have any tricks or a way to reflash the OS but afraid it is dead! I switched over to my wifes old Moto M for now but most likely going to iphone at end of year. I liked the phone the first year but this year it has become worse, and I treat my phone well, have never dropped it in a year and half.