My Pixel review

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
So I just picked up a Verizon Google Pixel on Friday. Coming from an s7 edge I've been using for the past 6mo or so, I am amazed by the Pixel. As it's been said many times before, this is how Android should run.

Pros:
- UI: a very fast and fluid experience. I cannot get this thing to even hiccup no matter how much I've thrown at it. My s7 Edge almost seems buggy and a bit sluggish compared to it.
- Size: I think the dimensions on the device nail it, very good size despite my bigger hands and much easier to operate with one hand. I know I sacrifice screen size, but I always found my previous devices to be a bit large.
- Build quality: second to none really and right up there with the Note 5 imo, if anything even better cause it feels sturdier. (The s7 Edge home button was made of plastic which felt cheap and actually felt loose).
- Screen: Absolutely beautiful, right up there with Samsung imo. Heck I even forgot this is "only" a 1080p display. And the stock wallpapers, especially the live ones are stunning. This is the first time I'm sticking with a live wallpaper and it's simply a joy every time I turn on the screen.
- Fingerprint: This is the first device I've owned that has a rear sensor and I absolutely love it. It feels more natural to unlock and I don't have to adjust the device with one hand use to unlock and use, it's all one fluid motion to unlock and go straight to using. Also the fingerprint swiping is genius.
- Battery: So it's only been two full days so far, but the Pixel has gotten me better battery life than my s7 Edge ever did so far. The standby time is ridiculous on this thing. In the same hour I would leave my s7 Edge alone, it would drop maybe 2-4%, my Pixel doesn't drop at all or at 1%. Screen on time has been better as well and in the two days (which I've used the device more than I probably ever will in a "normal" day) I've gotten over 4hrs screen on time with plenty of battery to spare, around the 20-25% range, whereas my s7 Edge would probably have been below 10% to achieve the same screen on time.

Cons:
- Features: Again it's been stated, but a phone at this price should have waterproofing and dustproofing, I mean come on, even the iPhone has it. Wireless charging, dual speakers, etc. I couldn't care less about though would've been nice to have considering the price.
Another thing missing that I really would've appreciated is maybe a double tap to wake....
- Fingerprint location: Yes, this is in my Pros, but considering our devices spend 90% of the time faceup, I miss have the front facing sensor like on my previous devices. Made for easy access to check on whatever notifications I had.
- Price: The only reason I have one in my hand is because I'm on a device payment plan that saved me a ton of money. Considering the full price was always at the back of my mind, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to drop that kind of money on a new device especially since I already had the s7 Edge.
- Design: bit of a plain and safe design, but it does look good. It definitely looks alot better in person than it does in pictures or videos.
- Radios: I go to my uncle's house alot which for some reason seems to be a Verizon "dead zone". Every device I've owned, and my family's set of iPhones, all get weaker signal at his house.

So I was there last night and the Pixel was really struggling to get a solid signal, never past 3G. My s7 Edge got LTE there in most of the house, but would struggle sometimes, depending where I was. I know in the past HTC was notorious for poor radios and that theme seems to continue with the Pixel.

Overall, this phone is amazing. It offers a fast and fluid experience that every Android user has dreamed of and come to expect of by now. I'm sure many of you who have seen reviews read about that "new phone feel" and this phone hasn't shown any signs of slowing down; no force closes, not a hint of lag, and provides an immediate response to input. Using this device day-to-day is an absolute joy from the moment I turn the screen on.

Could Google have crammed more features into the phone? Yeah I think they could've, at least have it waterproof and dustproof. Many people feel the bezels on the device are huge, which compared to my previous devices are, but it's never given me the sense of wanting to have more. The screen is beautiful and once you start using it, the experience will have you forgetting about those extra features that other phones have.

My only real gripe about the phone.....That Really Blue Pixel only comes in 32gb. What a beautiful color and I had to skip out on it because I wanted the 128gb version.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Nice review and thoughts ...I think an update gives it double tap to wake

iPhone Seven Plus

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Nice review and you're right. What hurts the pixel is that even the iPhone have water and dusty resistance. So if you want to price a phone are iPhone and Galaxy prices then give us the hardware to justify it. I'm sorry but unlimited storage is not what I would consider making up for the lack of features.

Look at the end of the day it is a nice phone and really the best Nexus phone we had and is a step forward in some ways. As a nexus phone it would have been a great phone and a winner. But as a flagship it is missing some things.

I think Google will bring it next year because they have heard the gripes.

Lastly, yes the pixel has the best version of android but last year so did the Nexus 6P. I'm eying how Google handles the software issues with the Nexus. See I chose Google devices because Google sent updates and fix issues. But if Google play the game of not addressing the issues that Nexus owners are having while the pixel is running software without those issues then I'll begin to lose trust in Google.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
dezymond

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Nice review and you're right. What hurts the pixel is that even the iPhone have water and dusty resistance. So if you want to price a phone are iPhone and Galaxy prices then give us the hardware to justify it. I'm sorry but unlimited storage is not what I would consider making up for the lack of features.

Look at the end of the day it is a nice phone and really the best Nexus phone we had and is a step forward in some ways. As a nexus phone it would have been a great phone and a winner. But as a flagship it is missing some things.

I think Google will bring it next year because they have heard the gripes.

Lastly, yes the pixel has the best version of android but last year so did the Nexus 6P. I'm eying how Google handles the software issues with the Nexus. See I chose Google devices because Google sent updates and fix issues. But if Google play the game of not addressing the issues that Nexus owners are having while the pixel is running software without those issues then I'll begin to lose trust in Google.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Agreed, if you're going to put a flagship price on it, you better at least put the flagship minimum features. They got the specs down for sure, for me at least, but waterproof and dustproof are a must. Now for myself, it wasn't a big deal, but it's one of those things that are "better to have and not need it" than it is to "need it and not have it".

The closest thing I've had to a Nexus device was all the way back in the day of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Anyone remember the hype around that phone in regards to being on Verizon? Yeah it thoroughly disappointed if you weren't ROM'd.

This was Google's attempt at getting their feet wet in the pool with the big boys and they've done a darn good job imo.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my experience with the Note 5 and s7 Edge, but it really wasn't anywhere near as smooth as the Pixel. I'll reserve any doubts I have once Nougat drops on the s7 which should hopefully be soon (I missed the Beta Program), but for now, my s7 Edge feels buggy compared to the Pixel. I've used all the "speed" tricks with the s7 Edge and every so often it would hiccup. I mean just pulling down the notification tray to turn on wifi had some lag time for me. I'm sure they'll fix it with Nougat, but for now, the Pixel performs like a sports car among sedans.

Remember the days when "Project Butter" was the big deal in regards to Android? I feel that the fluidity of the Pixel is that significant of a jump from the s7 Edge.

The Pixel line's future look bright imo. And I am more than happy to hang onto this device for the long run.

OP
dezymond

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Nice review and thoughts ...I think an update gives it double tap to wake

iPhone Seven Plus
The Canadians got the update first!

But yeah that'd be very good features to have. Can't wait for that update

grunt0300

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2 XL, Nexus 6
So I just picked up a Verizon Google Pixel on Friday. Coming from an s7 edge I've been using for the past 6mo or so, I am amazed by the Pixel. As it's been said many times before, this is how Android should run.

Pros:
- UI: a very fast and fluid experience. I cannot get this thing to even hiccup no matter how much I've thrown at it. My s7 Edge almost seems buggy and a bit sluggish compared to it.
- Size: I think the dimensions on the device nail it, very good size despite my bigger hands and much easier to operate with one hand. I know I sacrifice screen size, but I always found my previous devices to be a bit large.
- Build quality: second to none really and right up there with the Note 5 imo, if anything even better cause it feels sturdier. (The s7 Edge home button was made of plastic which felt cheap and actually felt loose).
- Screen: Absolutely beautiful, right up there with Samsung imo. Heck I even forgot this is "only" a 1080p display. And the stock wallpapers, especially the live ones are stunning. This is the first time I'm sticking with a live wallpaper and it's simply a joy every time I turn on the screen.
- Fingerprint: This is the first device I've owned that has a rear sensor and I absolutely love it. It feels more natural to unlock and I don't have to adjust the device with one hand use to unlock and use, it's all one fluid motion to unlock and go straight to using. Also the fingerprint swiping is genius.
- Battery: So it's only been two full days so far, but the Pixel has gotten me better battery life than my s7 Edge ever did so far. The standby time is ridiculous on this thing. In the same hour I would leave my s7 Edge alone, it would drop maybe 2-4%, my Pixel doesn't drop at all or at 1%. Screen on time has been better as well and in the two days (which I've used the device more than I probably ever will in a "normal" day) I've gotten over 4hrs screen on time with plenty of battery to spare, around the 20-25% range, whereas my s7 Edge would probably have been below 10% to achieve the same screen on time.

Cons:
- Features: Again it's been stated, but a phone at this price should have waterproofing and dustproofing, I mean come on, even the iPhone has it. Wireless charging, dual speakers, etc. I couldn't care less about though would've been nice to have considering the price.
Another thing missing that I really would've appreciated is maybe a double tap to wake....
- Fingerprint location: Yes, this is in my Pros, but considering our devices spend 90% of the time faceup, I miss have the front facing sensor like on my previous devices. Made for easy access to check on whatever notifications I had.
- Price: The only reason I have one in my hand is because I'm on a device payment plan that saved me a ton of money. Considering the full price was always at the back of my mind, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to drop that kind of money on a new device especially since I already had the s7 Edge.
- Design: bit of a plain and safe design, but it does look good. It definitely looks alot better in person than it does in pictures or videos.
- Radios: I go to my uncle's house alot which for some reason seems to be a Verizon "dead zone". Every device I've owned, and my family's set of iPhones, all get weaker signal at his house.

So I was there last night and the Pixel was really struggling to get a solid signal, never past 3G. My s7 Edge got LTE there in most of the house, but would struggle sometimes, depending where I was. I know in the past HTC was notorious for poor radios and that theme seems to continue with the Pixel.

Overall, this phone is amazing. It offers a fast and fluid experience that every Android user has dreamed of and come to expect of by now. I'm sure many of you who have seen reviews read about that "new phone feel" and this phone hasn't shown any signs of slowing down; no force closes, not a hint of lag, and provides an immediate response to input. Using this device day-to-day is an absolute joy from the moment I turn the screen on.

Could Google have crammed more features into the phone? Yeah I think they could've, at least have it waterproof and dustproof. Many people feel the bezels on the device are huge, which compared to my previous devices are, but it's never given me the sense of wanting to have more. The screen is beautiful and once you start using it, the experience will have you forgetting about those extra features that other phones have.

My only real gripe about the phone.....That Really Blue Pixel only comes in 32gb. What a beautiful color and I had to skip out on it because I wanted the 128gb version.

See, this is why Google can charge whatever they want for this phone. You stated, and i quote, " I DON'T CARE". What if the Pixel 2 went for a total price of $1100.00? It's coming, i guarantee it.:rolleyes:

OP
dezymond

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
See, this is why Google can charge whatever they want for this phone. You stated, and i quote, " I DON'T CARE". What if the Pixel 2 went for a total price of $1100.00? It's coming, i guarantee it.:rolleyes:
And that's what works for me. I have an s7 edge, but I rarely took advantage of the wireless charging, maybe cause I didn't have the wireless fast charger, but either way I rarely used it. As for dual speakers, I've always had Samsung devices so it's no change to me, I'm just a bit disappointed that they didn't put it in the Pixel since the 6P had it.

All in all, I am very happy with this phone. Completely? No, again, I wish it at least had water resistance. I never dunked my s7 edge, but it was nice to know it wouldn't die from being drowned. Can't say the same about the Pixel, no matter how many YouTube videos are out there showing it can resist a dunk in the water.

Just saying, if they're going to charge premium price, they should have at least implemented more features. However, the daily use of this phone in how fluid it is makes up for it, to me at least. The unlimited storage in Photos is a nice add-on, but one I don't think I'd ever take full advantage of.

LassieGal

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Anyone UNhappy with this phone? You can't query it vocally when the lock screen is on. It doesn't do USB to Go. Waze is buggy in it. Also miss the shake I could give my Droid Turbo to activate the camera.

OP
dezymond

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Anyone UNhappy with this phone? You can't query it vocally when the lock screen is on. It doesn't do USB to Go. Waze is buggy in it. Also miss the shake I could give my Droid Turbo to activate the camera.
- Google Assistant works with the screen off, I've used it many times.
- I found this in regards to your USB issue: https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Rank...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=6SVS2D2B871CF0JS8X12
- I don't use Waze, but when I tried it a few years back it was quite buggy.
- Shake-to-camera seems manufacturer specific. Coming from an s7 edge, double tap the power button is basically double tap the home button so it feels the same for me.