My open letter to AT&T regarding merger

Neupy

Reaction score
My thinking is...is it right? nope. Is it gonna be a PITA goin to att for a half a day then BACK to VZ? yep. Are you gettin a contract free droid outta the deal? yep. Id try and get VZ to give me a free X in trade for the D2 as a loyal customer coming back lol.

OP
B

belome

Reaction score
Well, I decided to use my head for a minute and I think I finally figured it out...

AT&T is going to send me free phones and I have 30 days to return the phones and end my obligation with AT&T. However, what happens if I stay with them longer than 30 days? From what I understand I'm under no contract with them and become a month to month customer.

I guess my point is, if I cancel within 30 days I need to send their free phones back... if I keep them 31 days and cancel, the phones are going to be free for me to keep? Maybe thats why they are being so lame about sending me a truly 'comparable' phone to my Droid 2.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, I decided to use my head for a minute and I think I finally figured it out...

AT&T is going to send me free phones and I have 30 days to return the phones and end my obligation with AT&T. However, what happens if I stay with them longer than 30 days? From what I understand I'm under no contract with them and become a month to month customer.

I guess my point is, if I cancel within 30 days I need to send their free phones back... if I keep them 31 days and cancel, the phones are going to be free for me to keep? Maybe thats why they are being so lame about sending me a truly 'comparable' phone to my Droid 2.
Good point... wonder if there's any validity to this idea.

OP
B

belome

Reaction score
Well, I emailed the CEO late on Thrusday and got a call within two hours (after 5 est). He said he might get back to me on Friday (1 day) or on Monday (2 days) at the latest, I wouldn't really call that shabby service.

The question is, do they plan to do anything about it, or simply say their hands are tied.

still leaves all day today and Saturday is a working day in customer service... matter of fact so is Sunday in our world.

Well, my hope is that I reached an administration level of people at AT&T... you know, the M-F kind of people... but who knows.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Make sure you are correct that on day 31 you are month to month. You might still be grandfathered from your VZW contract with them until that ends, or the fact you got their phones for free at AT&T it could be putting you into a contract. Don't assume anything at this point.

OP
B

belome

Reaction score
Don't assume anything at this point.

Exactly. I will certainly find out before doing anything rash like trying to keep them for 31 days just to sell their silly phones on eBay.

To be honest, I think their coverage will stink in my area and I'm giong to have to send them back on day one anyways... but we will see.

S

scrub175

Although still a raw deal, the bright side could be an early upgrade for your troubles and the moto olympus which will be a timed exclusive to at&t.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
B

belome

Reaction score
I WON! Everyone with a Droid 2 is now going to be able to get the Samsung Captivate as a free choice option. I told him not to forget about the Droid X guys as well. They are trying to determine 'how' they are going to go about the change... but my letter made a difference! I'm pretty stoked that I was able to change their corporate policy.

psychicdroid

Reaction score
I'm glad they listened, but you shouldn't have had to stress about it in the first place. There should have been more thought put into the offer in the first place. To me bad first contact trying to pawn off their garbage phone, bad contact with customer service, would have me not even trying their service. Though in my area, AT&T has worse service than sprint, so they aren't even on my radar.

cpjr

Reaction score
I'm glad they listened, but you shouldn't have had to stress about it in the first place. There should have been more thought put into the offer in the first place. To me bad first contact trying to pawn off their garbage phone, bad contact with customer service, would have me not even trying their service. Though in my area, AT&T has worse service than sprint, so they aren't even on my radar.

Unfortunately thats just how it works....I used Powertel at one time, it was bought out by Verizon years ago, when that happened Verizon treated me like crap. It was a corporate business line (which work paid for), so I was stuck with it but didnt care. If it had been my personal phone it would have been cancelled.

OP
B

belome

Reaction score
Sure, I shouldn't have had to... but I did... and it looks like all the D2 owners will benifit from me putting all the effort into this. I just knew if the right person could see what they were doing they would at least think about their actions. The hard part was finding the right person. I will give them kudos for fixing it.

cpjr

Reaction score
^I would imagine that you werent the only one complaining, at least I hope not ;)

OP
B

belome

Reaction score
True... but I'm the one that made the argument to the correct person. The Manager of the Office of the President called the meeting with the transition group because of my letter and the policy changed the next day because of it.

OK OK, I'll quit patting my own back.

cpjr

Reaction score
Oh no, Im just saying I HOPE that there wasnt a bunch of people taking it.