My Nexus signal and battery issues

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Can I inject some reason here. Seeing you are asking questions like "how do you get to the app drawer" rooting is not the best choice right now. In fact you can make things worse since rooting voids your warranty. First thing is to learn your device first. Also I do not like to recommend rooting to fix a problem. Rooting should be done on a device that do not have problems that may require returning. And it should be done by someone who is comfortable with the os.
Since the RAZR will be getting jb soon you may see if you can exchange for a RAZR or pay a little extra to exchange for a RAZR Maxx.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
No they want me to pay for the razr because I only paid $50 for the nexus. Yes I have rooted before. I rooted my original droid and loved it. Once you get the hang of it I changed roms like 3 or 4 times a week trying to find the one i liked the most and trying to stay updated as well.
I also noticed that I can hear an echo when talking on my nexus. Is there a fix for that, the reception or the battery life?
Like I said they want me to pay for the razr or razr maxx. All they will offer me is another nexus last time I talked to them last week.

If they could fix the issues I'd keep the nexus. I love the phone mainly because google will update it for as long as it can. Unlike the other phones that have to make verizon's specifications to update and also take 6 months to update while the nexus has had the update for 5 months and is ready for the next update already.

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Yes the Nexus should be able to handle at least the next OS if it follows the history of any other nexus. However considering this phone is supported by Verizon getting those updates will take awhile. Look how long we had to wait for JB. Lack of support from the provider is the main reason why I stick to the dev community, as with many other fellow Nexus owners

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
would the razr get the next os as well as jelly bean? I am just curious because my two weeks is almost up.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
would the razr get the next os as well as jelly bean? I am just curious because my two weeks is almost up.
Razr just got ICS not too long ago iirc. Should be able to handle JB , but not sure about the next OS

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
would they trade me out for a razr at the verizon store or would they charge me?

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
what would they do at the store? I just got the phone almost two weeks ago and ONLY paid $50 for it. Do they go by how much you paid or 2 year price before discounts?

CD95YJ

Reaction score
wvdroidman said:
what would they do at the store? I just got the phone almost two weeks ago and ONLY paid $50 for it. Do they go by how much you paid or 2 year price before discounts?

They will only swap out phones if you are returning it, to swap phones for warranty issues you have to call customer service. The store cannot authorize a switch in phones (from nexus to RAZR) only customer service. Basically the only thing the store is good for is a brand new phone, returning under the return policy, buying accessories, and getting new sim cards.
Now with that being said, if customer service authorizes the switch from the nexus to a RAZR, you will only get the phone, no battery or backplate, you will have to buy those separate, I know first hand from switching from the borked bionic to the nexus.

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
Would they authorize a switch in phones so soon? I put in the order for the nexus with executive care on thursday the 12th while I didn't receive it until the next tuesday.
Executive care had to push up my upgrade date from November.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Okay I'm lost did you get your Nexus from Verizon or a third party? If you got your phone from Verizon you can return it to the store and exchange phones as long as you are in the return grace period. If you received your phone from a third party company you have to go through them to switch out devices. If you're having a warranty issue with your phone neither store will help you with warranty issues you have to call Verizon customer service for warranty issues most of the time they require you to get 2 to 3 replacement devices before they will authorize a switch to a different device. Verizon may even require you to go through the third party company that you purchased your phone from for warranty issues as well, again that's only if you did not buy your phone from a Verizon store or the Verizon website.

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
I emailed verizon corporate about early upgrading my thunderbolt. Corporate called me and let me early upgrade my thunderbolt. This is when I bought my nexus.
This was through verizon. I paid for it two weeks ago thursday so I guess my 14 day window expired. I didn't get the package with the phone in it until the next tuesday though as fedex doesn't ship on weekends.

Fast forward to now I am having problems with my nexus signal and battery life. Battery has improved some but still not like my thunderbolt and extended battery doesn't help much,

As far as signal I can hardly get any 4g with the nexus while sometimes I got 2 or 3 bars for a while before going back to 3g with my thunderbolt.

My questions are Will signal and battery life get better with the nexus? How long will the nexus continue to get updates through verizon? If worse comes to worse which phone would verizon allow me to switch to without paying extra?

CD95YJ

Reaction score
View attachment 57643

OK as far a signal issues, look at the baseband version, if you not running those radios you need to do a system update on your phone to get on the latest version of ice cream sandwich. As far as battery life check to see if you're running Google now if that is constantly on that will drain your battery quick. To check that hit the Google search bar at the top of your screen and then open up the menu inside and the hit Google now to uncheck it. Other things are to dim you screen down, delay times between syncs, or as a last resort, root and ROM. If you see the android version at the bottom of the picture, that's the latest leaked version. I've been getting awesome battery life on that build number and you can look at the ROM and everything else that I've been running this things been going great for me.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
I emailed verizon corporate about early upgrading my thunderbolt. Corporate called me and let me early upgrade my thunderbolt. This is when I bought my nexus.
This was through verizon. I paid for it two weeks ago thursday so I guess my 14 day window expired. I didn't get the package with the phone in it until the next tuesday though as fedex doesn't ship on weekends.

Fast forward to now I am having problems with my nexus signal and battery life. Battery has improved some but still not like my thunderbolt and extended battery doesn't help much,

As far as signal I can hardly get any 4g with the nexus while sometimes I got 2 or 3 bars for a while before going back to 3g with my thunderbolt.

My questions are Will signal and battery life get better with the nexus? How long will the nexus continue to get updates through verizon? If worse comes to worse which phone would verizon allow me to switch to without paying extra?

Like has been already mentioned....you probably won't see life comparable to your TB with extended battery...the Nexus OEM extended battery is 650 mAh less than the TB's extended battery you had. As far as your 4G issue, the Nexus radios are not the greatest and you live in a fringe area. Again, like already been mentioned the signal isn't likely to improve unless they expand 4G in your area. And I've already mentioned the Nexus will see updates from Google for at least another year. As far as switching phones without paying, you'l have to discuss that with Verizon. When you change phones, they don't give you a back or battery so even if you don't have to pay the difference for a phone, you'll have to buy a back and battery.

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
Will verizon make me go through replacements before they let me switch? Also what is the use of a phone without a battery?