My new Droid-X is a pain

Red Rock

Reaction score
Hey there,

I have never had a web enabled phone/smartphone etc.
I do alot of buying ad selling of domains online, and constantly seem to need web access and my old cell phone (Envy 3) was due for an upgrade so my kids kept telling me I needed a smartphone.

Well, I was talked into getting the Droid-X based on my needs. I got it last week, and I like being able to surf the web, but other than that this phone seems like a big pain.

My Verizon Salesman said I have 30 days to return it if I wanted to. I may just end up returning it but I wanted to stop in here first just to see if I am missing something.

Thanks,
Vito

Last edited by a moderator:

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome! The X is a fantastic device. Check out the entire X section by clicking the Forum link above. You will find quite a lot of very helpful information in the different sections.

Mike

rlfitz

Reaction score
you might just need to get used to it. Its a great phone. whats the problem you are having??

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Welcome to D/F - we are glad to have you with us but please keep in mind this a family forum and language is something we keep a close eye on - even if it is spelled in a way that is not 100% correct but still understandable as foul language -

Thanks and again :welcome:

OP
Red Rock

Red Rock

Reaction score
Thx for the welcome.
As for the language, I understand. I own a couple of Forums myself.

Here are a few of the problems I am having...

Finding a number in my contacts seems to be nearly impossible. As I scrolll thru te names, it always accidentally dials someone thru the scrolling list, before I get to the person I was acyually looking for.

The ringer is VERY quiet, Too Quiet.

I haven't ben able to find a decent carry case for my belt loop so since it is so big, I have to put it in my shirt pocket, and all of the times I don't have a shirt w/pockets.

Those are a few of the problems so far.

I do love being able to surf the web though. :)

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
The ringer seems to be an issue for a lot of people - and you might check out Seidio and Otterbox for cases and Xcessories :)

OP
Red Rock

Red Rock

Reaction score
The ringer seems to be an issue for a lot of people - and you might check out Seidio and Otterbox for cases and Xcessories :)

So, the ringer is, what it is....huh?

as for the OtterBox, I did grab a case. It seemed like the best possible case for the droid that was avail at the Verizon Store. It is the OtterBox Commuter Series Silicone Cover. Its very nice but the salesman said hes not sure if this case would work w/any type of belt loop carrying case.

He also said that the car window mount might not work with te OtterBox Silicone Cover. I have no idea since I havent bought the accessorry package yet.

I have to admit, It is a very cool looking phone though

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't have a Droid X but I know a lot of people have issue with the ringer volume - as far as if there has been a fix yet, I don't think so - but as I said I am not an X owner so I could easily be wrong

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

So, the ringer is, what it is....huh?

as for the OtterBox, I did grab a case. It seemed like the best possible case for the droid that was avail at the Verizon Store. It is the OtterBox Commuter Series Silicone Cover. Its very nice but the salesman said hes not sure if this case would work w/any type of belt loop carrying case.

He also said that the car window mount might not work with te OtterBox Silicone Cover. I have no idea since I havent bought the accessorry package yet.

I have to admit, It is a very cool looking phone though

First you can change the volume on the ringer. Go to settings, sound settings and adjust the phone ring. If you are using the standard bell then change that. Get an mp3 file, a song that you like maybe, use Ringdroid and make it your ringer. Ringdroid is available in the Market free.

Want to call somebody? You don't have to scroll anything. Long press on the search button on the front of the phone it will bring up "say a command." Then you say call wife or whoever. It will find the person you are calling and dial.

For some people that feature doesn't work as well as it does for me. So what you do then is just go to the phone and type in the first few letters of the name and it will fine the contact for you.

Scrolling is a thing of the past.

As you can see you face a learning curve here. Most make it, I'd say 5% don't. You can either stay in the 20th Century or join the rest of us in the 21st Century. We will help you learn, just be patient and leave your mind open for new ideas.

OP
Red Rock

Red Rock

Reaction score
First you can change the volume on the ringer. Go to settings, sound settings and adjust the phone ring. If you are using the standard bell then change that. Get an mp3 file, a song that you like maybe, use Ringdroid and make it your ringer. Ringdroid is available in the Market free.

Want to call somebody? You don't have to scroll anything. Long press on the search button on the front of the phone it will bring up "say a command." Then you say call wife or whoever. It will find the person you are calling and dial.

For some people that feature doesn't work as well as it does for me. So what you do then is just go to the phone and type in the first few letters of the name and it will fine the contact for you.

Hey Hookbill,

Thx for the Rnger tip. I will definitely give that a try.

As for the "Long Press" Calling option...That is a very very cool trick.

Unfortunately it doesn't work THAT way for me but it does help me out alot.

I have "Kim" in my contacts, so I said "Call Kim".
It brought up Businesses with Kinm in the name.
I did it a few times, and even added the contact I have of "Kim Home" still same results.

I noticed it was bringing up Businesses so I said "Call Wal'Mart in Forest Park" and it called them!

So, that was a cool little tip that worked out for me in a different way than intended, but I will take it!

Thx,
Vito

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
There is an app in the Market called Vlingo. This is specifically for finding contacts. You may want to give that a try, it works the same way you press the app and it will tel you to say a command. Then it will call whomever you asked for. It interferes with the way my bluetooth works so I don't use it.