My first question

drchronos

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

This is my first android phone and it is a Motorola droid2 global phone. My first question is can this forum be used for the global version of droid 2? For most things are the two phones the same?

Thanks in advance for answering.

Tom Goyett
(drchronos)

kechamb

Reaction score
From what I have read and understand yes they are basically the same phone. The only difference ogf course is global calling.

D

dankarlinski

From what I have read and understand yes they are basically the same phone. The only difference ogf course is global calling.

not ENTIRELY true actually.

hardware wise, the D2G has a faster processer (1.2 vs the D2 1.0 and D1 600MHz)

software, they are very simular.

as for custom roms, i know fission supports D2G fully with the releases thru the ROM manager. i am not sure about the other roms, although i would imagine where wouldnt be an issue. as long as you have backups, it doesnt really matter anyways....

but for anything else besides the roms themselves, there will be no issue whatsoever

OP
D

drchronos

Reaction score
Thanks that is what I was thinking. Thanks for answering my question.

chronos

Reaction score
when we get the new moto update, the d2 and the d2g will be running the same software versions and will be almost the same phone save for the cpu.

Just a hint: a lot of d2g users have problems with voice quality, and you can disable voice privacy to improve this (found this myself today even though I'm on a d2). It can be found under home screen/meun/call settings/voice privacy

Tillyswilly

Reaction score
well there the same in most cases but not all....if the ROM doesnt say it supports D2G then you dont need to install it bc as of right now theres no SBF for the D2G right now so if something goes wrong you have a shinny brick till then...but you can root and use overclocking (dont know why you would) and those things but thats about it right now till a sbf becomes available and people can start working on more ROMs and themes

OP
D

drchronos

Reaction score
well there the same in most cases but not all....if the ROM doesnt say it supports D2G then you dont need to install it bc as of right now theres no SBF for the D2G right now so if something goes wrong you have a shinny brick till then...but you can root and use overclocking (dont know why you would) and those things but thats about it right now till a sbf becomes available and people can start working on more ROMs and themes

Hi Again,

I"m sorry to be a newbie here but I am can you tell me what an sbf is?

Thanks in advance.

Tom Goyett
(drchronos)

D

dankarlinski

Hi Again,

I"m sorry to be a newbie here but I am can you tell me what an sbf is?

Thanks in advance.

Tom Goyett
(drchronos)

an SBF is a firmware image. it is used to reflash your phone from the bootloader if you really mess things up... it is usually a last attempt to save a phone after it no longer boots. it is also used to competely restore to stock config.

Tillyswilly

Reaction score
Yes he's correct and as of right now the sbf for the D2 doesn't work for the d2g so u need to hold off on the ROMs for right now

Tappin and Talken