My Droid is freaking out

lpreston

Reaction score
My Droid is absolutely freaking out. When I went to use it tonight, the slider was slow to respond. When it finally worked, it opened my Gmail right away, started deleting emails, then hopped over YouTube and started playing a video. I restarted (with some difficulty — it kept thinking I was selecting airplane mode). Some form of this happened more than once — typing gibberish in text messages, scrolling through my phone book, etc. It was almost as if someone was operating it and I couldn't.

My Droid has a burly cover and screen protector on it. It has never been dropped or gotten wet in any way.

Also, my battery was very low tonight.

Can someone tell me what the heck is going on???

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do you have the OEM charger cable as your charger?

Have you purchased an additional charger?

OP
L

lpreston

Reaction score

I just use the charger that came with the phone — I assume it's the OEM charger?

I was in the car with a friend and used her charger for about... 10 minutes? She doesn't have a Droid, but it did fit into my phone and appeared to be charging the battery, so I assumed that was OK? ... Is that the issue?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

I just use the charger that came with the phone — I assume it's the OEM charger?

I was in the car with a friend and used her charger for about... 10 minutes? She doesn't have a Droid, but it did fit into my phone and appeared to be charging the battery, so I assumed that was OK? ... Is that the issue?
The charger is the issue.

The one that came with the Droid is the OEM.

There was a thread titled "Rogue Droid" here on DF and it was all about how none-OEM chargers were causing Droids to act on their own, just as yours had. (found it :) http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...-suggestions/4081-rogue-droid-huge-issue.html)

The issue is this.... our phones require a certain (mA) with a charger... the OEM meets that requirement, but some after market chargers do not...

OP
L

lpreston

Reaction score

The charger is the issue.

The one that came with the Droid is the OEM.

There was a thread titled "Rogue Droid" here on DF and it was all about how none-OEM chargers were causing Droids to act on their own, just as yours had. (found it :) http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...-suggestions/4081-rogue-droid-huge-issue.html)

The issue is this.... our phones require a certain (mA) with a charger... the OEM meets that requirement, but some after market chargers do not...

I'm sifting through that other forum now — but do you know what I can do now? Do I have to take my phone back in? I came home and tried to charge it with my OEM charger, but it was still doing the same stuff... it's unplugged without it's battery in now...

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Seems most people ended up getting a replacement...

I'm not sure of another alternative.

You can try plugging your device into the usb cable while connected to your computer... then 'power off' the device (it will stay off)

You can not 'power off' the device while plugged into a wall charger and have it remain off.... for whatever reason, it does while plugged into a computer.

That may be something to try, don't know if it will make a difference though.

OP
L

lpreston

Reaction score
Damn. Well, thanks for the advice. How annoying. And here I just plugged it into my friend's charger so I could ask what size pants my husband wears. Ha!

I guess I'll be hitting the Verizon store tomorrow. It's plugged into my comp now and powered off, but I (like you) doubt it will help.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Most people said Verizon ending up telling them that somehow the device itself 'fried' or something to that effect from the mismatch in chargers....

If by chance leaving it off and charging over night fixes your issue please post back as that'd be some good info to pass along.

Good luck btw.... and if you're rooted (don't know if you are or not) don't forget to revert to stock before going into Verizon!

OP
L

lpreston

Reaction score
What does being "rooted" mean? Like a contract? I do have a contract with Verizon... please explain. This is my first time with Droid-speak. :)

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
What does being "rooted" mean? Like a contract? I do have a contract with Verizon... please explain. This is my first time with Droid-speak. :)
Here's an explanation of root http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/632-what-root-means-stop-asking.html (the title is not directed at you specifically, that's just what the thread is titled :))

And more importantly... since you asked what 'root' means, you're not rooted :)

So disregard what I said about returning to stock, you're good to go

OP
L

lpreston

Reaction score
Ah, OK. I'm not rooted. I would, however, like to ROOT this phone into the wall right now. Attempting to hold self back in order to get full replacement... grrrr...

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ah, OK. I'm not rooted. I would, however, like to ROOT this phone into the wall right now. Attempting to hold self back in order to get full replacement... grrrr...
lol!

I have had the same thoughts when I've had to troubleshoot my device (nothing with the device itself, but when you start hacking it, sometimes things go awry)

Fight the urge!