My Droid gets hot. Is this normal

Bassnut

Reaction score
I've had my Droid about a week now and I really do like this thing. One thing that I find a little uncomfortable is when I am on the phone for a long conversation (10 min or more) the phone gets very hot on my ear. I thought this was just me but last night while talking to my son after about 15 min my wife took the phone to continue the conversation. After a min or so she looked up at me and mentioned how hot the phone was. So my question is, is it normal for it to get hot enough to be somewhat uncomfortable. Which leads to my main reason for asking this. If I root my Droid and over clock it do they run any hotter. I know my home computer runs hotter after I over clocked that.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've had my Droid about a week now and I really do like this thing. One thing that I find a little uncomfortable is when I am on the phone for a long conversation (10 min or more) the phone gets very hot on my ear. I thought this was just me but last night while talking to my son after about 15 min my wife took the phone to continue the conversation. After a min or so she looked up at me and mentioned how hot the phone was. So my question is, is it normal for it to get hot enough to be somewhat uncomfortable. Which leads to my main reason for asking this. If I root my Droid and over clock it do they run any hotter. I know my home computer runs hotter after I over clocked that.

Every cell phone I have ever owned gets hot when you are on it for 10 minutes or more. It's totally normal, don't worry about it.

Shusuke028

Reaction score
Yes it is perfectly normal for any phone (or computer as you mentioned) to get hotter after an extended amount of use. And yes, overclocking it could make it run a little bit hotter. Although other phones do get hot, I've seen mention about the Droid getting exceptionally hotter than others when playing games for an extended amount of time that are reliant on the cpu such as robo defense for example.

But to answer your question, yes this is normal behavior for the droid