Musician Will.I.Am Bringing a Smartwatch to Market

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;Rj7IfmUbF0M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Rj7IfmUbF0M[/video]​

Even though this isn't directly an Android Watch, we still thought it would be relevant to share here. The musician Will.I.Am showed off a partially working prototype of a smartwatch that he is funding himself. He was interviewed on the UK talk show Alan Carr: Chatty Man, which is where he wowed the host and the audience with his device.

What's most impressive about his concept is that his smartwatch isn't just a device that is tethered to your smartphone, it is designed to replace it, as it includes cellular functionality. Here's what he had to say about it,

"I don't carry my phone anymore; I just use this, [this] is my phone. There's a lot of smartwatches that need phones [to operate]. Mine doesn't need a phone; this is the phone."

He also added,

"I started the company myself; I funded it, used my own money to develop it. It's a phone; it has all my music in it."

Will.I.Am didn't reveal any details or specs of the device, except for its built-in ability to connect through Bluetooth to headphones. It also has Twitter, Instagram and Facebook functionality. He indicated that he plans to formally launch the device soon.

Source: Mashable

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
That's a step in the right direction.. Wearable tech WITH OUT having to have your phone..

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
My guess it is proprietary. I understand he has also designed an iPhone case. The video is hysterical.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I'm really interested to hear more on this WatchPhone..hmmmm

eddiekeyton

Banned
Reaction score
Twitter
eddiekeyton
I don't see a need for a watch. Dumb idea in my eyes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Droid Forums

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Sounds like a must for us motorcycle guys.

1coopgt

Reaction score
Me being a motorcycle rider for the past 23 years . What makes you say that ? When I'm riding I can't see my wrist . It's inside a leather jacket . I just keep my smartphone in my pocket and use my bluetooth to listen to music.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Me being a motorcycle rider for the past 23 years . What makes you say that ? When I'm riding I can't see my wrist . It's inside a leather jacket . I just keep my smartphone in my pocket and use my bluetooth to listen to music.
Here it rarely gets below 70 so no need for a jacket.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I don't take William seriously, he's like the Gary Busey of tech IMO.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I would think he has millions invested in this project. Time will tell how serious he is.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I would think he has millions invested in this project. Time will tell how serious he is.

I can put millions into a better pooper scooper, you down?

He pushes for dial tones, no call is made. He plays music, is it even coming from his wrist phone? In fact the only thing we see the phone do is spin a circle for a whole minute before actually doing, er...nothing.

Lets take a moment to look at other things William is up too;

"the 38-year-old Scream & Shout hitmaker told the new issue of Wired magazine: ‘I took a day off, got the stuffed animal, ripped it apart, stuck the MiFi connector in its head, sewed it up, put the speaker in his belly, sewed it up, put a freakin’ iPhone in his mouth. It’s my prototype for the next product – we’re working to have it for Christmas.’"

Ok, must be for kids, right?

"He promises his musical pooch will be all singing and dancing, adding: ‘I want to be able to talk to it. I want to be able to tell it, “Play this song, download it.” I want to be able to tell it, “Put the next game on Tivo.” I want this thing to rule my house.’‘I want my technology where I can have a conversation with it. I think there is going to be something that interacts with us that is a little more personal than my phone.’"

...right. Who knew Skynet was coming via robotic stuffed animal?

What else?

[video=youtube;8PSX87_9FD8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PSX87_9FD8[/video]

...no words folks.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Let's say he is a bit eccentric. He has done some good deeds. I read he paid off some mortgages for complete strangers who got caught up in the bank mortgage scandal a few years ago.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Let's say he is a bit eccentric. He has done some good deeds. I read he paid off some mortgages for complete strangers who got caught up in the bank mortgage scandal a few years ago.

I donated my used clothes and a pair of shoes.

Still down for my upgraded pooper scooper? Comes with a iPhone dock in the handle so you can see how many calories you're burning. $695 plus tax, free shipping to Thailand.;)