Music related apps lock up - "No Response"???

Jarretf

Reaction score
The last week or so, on my Droid X, I have been getting a black screen, not responding to screen or button press. Happening almost every time now. I have noticed though, two things. One, if I wait long enough, (30 secs?) that I will get an error that the App is not responding, and asks if I want to do a "Force Close". Two, it seems that all music related apps will trigger this. I have tested with the system music player, DoubleTwist, Slacker, Pandora, all will cause this error.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Is it possible it is an audio hardware problem since it is all audio apps?

Calmb4

Reaction score
I have been having a similar problem occasionally when using the stock music player. Usually will happen when you start playing a track, then press pause, system may lock up or go to blank screen as you experienced. Sometimes pressing home key will work but music player remains locked up. This has happened with different music tracks in different folders so not a problem mp3 file. Usually must pull bat to reset - I am getting the feeling this is a buggy system, would be more tolerable if there was an easier reset method.

rvguy

Reaction score
Buggy Music player

Since my 2.2 DROID X upgrade my stock music player (the only one I use) has hung up about every other day I've used it. Actually the whole phone system hangs and requires a battery boot! A couple times it started stuttering (skipping through the music) but I lost complete control of the phone. I'm pretty sure this is unrelated to the mp3 track. To shut it up, I did a battery boot. I'm wondering if losing the WIFI connection might trigger this. I leave my home and gradually lose the WIFI. I realize they are only indirectly related but it could happen. I'll continue to experiment with WIFI and BLUETOOTH states in relation to the music playing.

This morning, I started the music player and it claimed that my mp3 files were not supported by this player. Something had grunged my SD card. I battery booted and it said, SCANNING SD CARD and afterwards everything worked again.

In anycase, I am firmly convinced there is a bug in this system that is causing this because it wasn't happening before the 2.2 update.

Mrcompgov

Reaction score
I am having same problem. I got a new app and no problem with vanilla music app.

tripperdan99

Reaction score
YES, So I'm not the only one and I'm not imagining this.

IT seems to be "Sound Event" specific. I've had it freeze when I've gotten a call (after using built in music player) and I've had it freeze when using Navigation (and was listening to the built in music player).

Also, I tried other players but it seems that if the music player has run, it will lock up no matter what at some point.

Really frustrating

~trip

PACanesFan

Reaction score
Had this problem when I was running stock. Motorola is aware of the issue and has claimed to found the problem and will push out a fix in the next service pack for the X.

In the interim, I used a 3rd party app. Didn't have any issues running them. Nor do I have any issues with the stock now that I am 'custom'.

tripperdan99

Reaction score
I talked with Vzw and got to a tier2 Tech

As of this morning, Vmz did NOT have a bulletin from Motorola about the issue but had documented a number of instances of the lock up issue.

I had tried a couple of third party players but still had lockup issues. Now the lockup could be a result of
1) The Nav system audio utilizing part of the affected flaw in the audio system that causes the lockup. or
2) the 3rd party app utilizing part of the audio system that is part of the bug.

PACanesFan if you would be kind enough to let me know what audio player you have used with out issue, I would appreciate it.

Also, If you use the Car Dock, it automatically accesses the stock media player and will initiate the BUG even if you don't directly launch it. (this has been my experience up to now).

~trip

PACanesFan

Reaction score
I am using Mixzing without issue. Previously, before I rooted and flashed, I used this program and did not receive the lock ups that the stock player had. The car dock was an issue for me as well. I used the one free Add App spot to add Mixzing and didn't use the stock player at all.

As for Nav. crashing, I did not experience that at all.

This is one of my main drivers to root and flash a custom ROM. The ROM I am using has no issues with the stock music player.

tripperdan99

Reaction score
I'm tempted to root, but because I'm working on computers all day and troubleshooting, I'm not motivated to dive into the phone (atm).

Thanks for mentioning the media player you used, I will give it a go. I have Pandora in the single slot we have for the CarDock app. I'm hoping to find a replacement for the CarDock that offers more customization or options.

Hopefully for those of us who stay "Plain Vanilla" with their phones will have this issue resolved. Only the stock player offers the locked screen controls (as far as I know atm).

~trip

PS previously I had used Music Player by Social Soft and was well pleased with its features, but it would lockup consistently making me think it was shelling off of the stock player.

Bxrider117

Reaction score
I have had the same problem with the stock player. I tried Mixzing and I really liked it. Especially with the lock screen display, but when the trail version ran out, I could not justify spending $6 for a media player. So I have been running Winamp for almost a week and I have had no problems, its free and the lock screen is the whole screen with album art. Since tunning this app I have not had a problem with my Youtube media either.

stock28

Reaction score
My stock player has locked up the phone numerous times and requires a battery pull to unlock it. Then all is well for a while. I have several ring tones that are mp3 and the other morning a got message saying the player did not support this type of file. Again I had to pull the battery and then they worked again. I love the phone but the music player really needs to be fixed. It is the only real problem I have ever had.

gmcknight

Reaction score
music doesn't play

I don't know what "rooting" is, but I downloaded Mixing Music player and the music played for a while and then did the same thing the stock music player did and stopped recognizing the file.