Music player with album cover navigation

xndzizz

Reaction score
Hey all,

Anyone know a music player app that has a selection feature similar to iTunes' album cover flipping? I dont care about the appearance of it so much as just being able to browse for albums through a large picture of their album covers.

DaHarder

Reaction score
I'd also suggest Rockon... Pretty solid app (overall).

Just have patience for that initial search - I have over 4500 songs on my DROID ALL with correct album art - lol

rkoener

Reaction score
I installed this app and it looked great. I only had a few songs on my phone so I add quite a few more from my computer. When I opened up Rockon again the screen was totally blank except for the scroll bar at the bottom that tells you how long the song is. When I swipe left or right those screens are totally blank too! I tried uninstalling and re-installing this app, but the results are the same. I removed all the new songs and still no change. Something makes me think it is not completely getting uninstalled though. The first time I installed it I got a "welcome" screen. Not any more. Any ideas?!

dean.collins

Reaction score
that happened to me once when i was playing around with landscape / portait views. go to home screen, use an app like "kill all apps" then restart the app it will be fixed.

ohioDroid

Reaction score
I'd also suggest Rockon... Pretty solid app (overall).

Just have patience for that initial search - I have over 4500 songs on my DROID ALL with correct album art - lol

I've been messing around with this app and it overrides my album art... kind of. If I have custom albums that I've made, it'll search online, find what it considers close and cover my art up.

Yet it doesn't do that for all the songs. Just most of them.

Does anyone know how to force it to use album art of our choice? Does it need to be in the metadata of the music, or should there be an albumart.jpg in a folder or something?

ToyBoy

Reaction score
I had Rockon for about a week and it seemed really buggy. As I added new albums, old & wrong album art would appear on the newly added album. Also, nav between screens was HORRIBLE. when going from the scrolling screen to the player screen it would frequently change songs or even albums that were playing. Also, several times it would not let me change what was playing to a new album. Anyone else notice this?

dean.collins

Reaction score
Yep, Rockon is just plain broken.

I'm using Meridian at the moment but it's "just ok" and not great either.

It's really surprising that this isn't a space that has better applications.

ohioDroid

Reaction score
I had a chance to email with the developer of RockOn. I got a bit of insight from it.

First off, the RockOn everyone sees in the Market is out of date. There's a newer one. The name of it is ³ (that's a superscript 3) but it also goes by RockOnNextGeneration.

Both forms of RockOn use some parts of last.fm, and from what I understand, the album art capabilities of last.fm are mixed with the album art capabilities of the default Android music app.

This is what happens (usually): RockOn shows no Album Art until you tell it to look for album art. First it looks online. If the Album Art online is of higher quality than the embedded album art (higher resolution) it will use that art. If not, then the Album Art embedded in the music file (which is the art you see when you use the standard Music App) is used.

I emailed back and forth with the guy and we discussed how this method doesn't work well. He said it is a good idea in future releases to include the choice to only use embedded Album Art as opposed to online art.

Also, if you check out the RockOnNextGen whatever ³, you'll notice that it has a smoother GUI, although I personally think it looks less cool. The developer said he plans to implement the original RockOn GUI in the newer application eventually, which should mean an awesome looking and easy to use app in the end.

ohioDroid

Reaction score
FYI, ³ (RockOnNextGen) now supports the album art in your mp3 tags. If the tag is high resolution, the app will default to using it. If the tag isn't used by default, you can long press on the album art to be brought to a screen where you can choose the album art you want.

Slightly cumbersome, but looks really nice in the end.