Music Apps Can't Access File System AT ALL

kettlnaut

Reaction score
Not sure, I have seen other issues that sound somewhat similar but mine might be a little more unique, or maybe they just didn't give as many details as I am about to.

So I have become pretty attached to EZ Folder Player as it is extremely simple yet functional, and at first I thought it was an issue with the app. But in my disappointment of it not working and the fact I use my phone to jam chunes a lot, I started desperately looking for another app with comparable features. Well as it turns out, I have installed other players, but PlayerPro has the exact same behavior as EZ Folder Player did, so I have to assume it is a larger issue with ICS and not just the app itself.

So the issue is this, I can browse to my external SD storage just fine with a any one of the file browser apps I have. Yet when I go to browse for a music library in either of the above mentioned apps, all I get in the file browse popup is a '/' with no window content showing my files. And I can't browse anywhere or do anything, it just shows the slash and all I can do is hit back.

I need to be able to access /mnt/sdcard-ext/musics to access my library, but all I can get to is / so I am stumped. It's weird because the app Clean Music Player will browse my music fine, but nothing else does. I am guessing must be something in the way it accesses the data. And yes, since it was the only tip I could find I already hit clear data on the media storage app service. Didn't help.

To give some background, I had done the OTA update to my Droid 4 going in-place from GB to ICS. I did have it rooted but that got broken on upgrade, though I found an ICS rooter and all was well. But I didn't listen and do a factory wipe right after the update. After a few months of some issues and bugs, I finally wiped it a couple days ago and decided to just start from scratch so I could make a nice clean backup with Titanium. Now here is the clincher, I just guessed on this and maybe should have researched (IE I am guessing this could be root cause) is that Titanium told me it detected that my Android Device ID had changed, probably due to a recent wipe. It asked me if I wanted to import the old one or keep the new one. I should have probably just let it use the new one, but I chose to import the old one afraid I might lose access to my sd card. Guess I picked wrong.

So yah if anyone knows a good fix for this I would love to hear it, otherwise I have to wipe and start over AGAIN and with all the apps I have now this takes FOREVER! Thanks Guys! dancedroid

OP
kettlnaut

kettlnaut

Reaction score
Not sure how it goes in this forum, gonna BUMP this for a little and see what we get. If I am doing it wrong, SOOORRREEEEEEE! :happy3:

OP
kettlnaut

kettlnaut

Reaction score
The cricket chorus is indicating I am going to have to wipe my phone again. Blarg! Hopefully that actually works, I swear to cheeze and rice if that doesn't work I am going to figure out how to go back to Gingerbread. Maybe they have a non-risky bootloader out and I can finally go Cyanogen again. Man this ICS crap is starting to get frustrating. Seemed really great at first, but the honeymoon is over. The gains of ICS are really not worth the amount of time and hassle I am having to spend. It will be so awesome when Ubuntu has their cloud based hardware imaging finalized and out in production, this is as sucky as reformatting Windows every time you get a virus. At least I learned how to make images and backups for windows, however the same method is not so successful on rooted Droid with no custom bootloader....

OP
kettlnaut

kettlnaut

Reaction score
So far I got what looked like a sponsored reply, but I guess that is just a gimmick to make it seem like someone might actually reply to your thread. If there actually is someone out there reading threads and answering what they can, it would be nice to at least get an acknowledgment someone saw it whether they have a solution or not. Just a thought, I will try be patient but I am guessing I will have wiped and reconfiged my whole device before anyone replies. Worth a shot though!

OP
kettlnaut

kettlnaut

Reaction score
So I am guessing there must be better forums since I am pretty much talking to myself here. :p

GTStevo

Reaction score
I think I have the same issue. When I had my Droid 2, I used Handcent for texting and choosing mp3s. I still use Handcent for texting, but now on my Droid 4, it won't locate all of my mp3 files like it did on the D2.

The way it works is similar to the stock gallery. It will compile all of your mp3s to one list so you can choose one for an alarm, ringtone, etc.

My mp3 player (power amp) can locate these files with ease. Handcent, however, cannot. It only locates files from one folder and I have not figured out a way to set the app to browse elsewhere.

I guess it should be noted that I do not have an SD card mounted and depend solely upon the 8gb storage.

I know my post doesn't have an answer, but hopefully you'll take comfort in knowing you're not alone.

Last edited: