Multitude of issues with Android 2.2 on HTC Droid Incredible

Bimmerman

Reaction score
Hey all, I've been having a large number of issues with the new Android 2.2 update, and I've got a fair number of questions. FWIW, I haven't hacked the phone and don't use the phone for much internet or any real multimedia usage. I bought it purely to be able to use Google Maps, so I'm probably not a typical smartphone user, which makes these issues all the more confounding. I use my phone purely for checking email and sending texts, and browsing car forums/using google maps occasionally.

I should probably list the apps I have installed, so here goes with approximate dates.
--Bump, pre OS2.2, ~June?
--Chess for Android, pre OS 2.2, ~June
--Forza Droid, pre OS 2.2, ~June
--Mabilo Ringtones, pre OS 2.2, ~June
--PdaNet, three days ago to get internet so that I could follow emergency updates for the Boulder Fourmile Fire (Comcast.......you lot are incompetent fools, people in evacuation areas NEED communication and emergency alerts)
--That's it. The following problems cropped up way after the above apps were installed, with the exception of PdaNet. These apps do not seem to have caused any issue, or had any effect whatsoever. On to the issues.

Questions/issues:

--Is it possible to revert back to whichever OS version came before 2.2? I liked the older OS much better, and I think it would solve 99% of all these issues.

If not.....

--When updating to OS 2.2, the phone installed a large number of bloatware apps, namely Skype Mobile, Amazon MP3 store, Facebook, Flkr, City ID, Friend Stream, and others. I have gone into the Applications tab and find they are running all the time, and cannot get them to quit loading. Is there any way to prevent these parasitic apps from starting and running without me deleting them?

--I have a feeling it is because of the new apps the phone decided that I needed, but the 3G indicator is always on. Why is this? It was not before the update, and I never have apps going, so it should NOT be using 3G.

--Google Calendar....sucks majorly. A few months ago I had put lots of autocrosses, track days, and driving school events on my calendar, but then my car decided to live on jackstands. These events were put on the calendar back in February, long before I got the phone, and deleted off the calendar back in June, before this update. Going through my PC, the events are NOT listed in the calendar. However, post-2.2 update, the phone seems to think these events are still there, no matter how many times I tell the thing to refresh the calendar. What is even more infuriating is that the event reminders still occur even after I have deselected the Google Calendar attached to my account from the 'calendars' setting. This is really really really irritating, and I have tried everything short of deleting the Calendar app. Please help, this is the #1 irritation.

--Texting. The new 2.2 OS has a quirk where I am unable to keep typing a text if the phone receives an incoming text at the same time. Nor does the optical track button work all that well; it will occasionally just jump around and then prevent me from finishing my text. Furthermore, the send text button sometimes won't recognize my command. Absolutely infuriating.

--Phone speed. The phone seems to lag horribly post-update, and I am willing to bet it is because of the useless apps (facebook, et al) that the phone installed. It is seriously slow, laggy, and uncooperative.

--OS Stability. The phone has crashed more often since the 2.2 OS than it ever had before.

--Random Text conversations deletion. The phone decided to delete every text thread. Some had two messages, some had the better part of 600. I know there is an automatic message deletion option, but that was not selected. The phone crashed while I was writing a text, rebooted, and had deleted ALL stored/sent texts. If it needed the memory, that would be understandable, but the phone ran NO faster after deleting all that, and there was/is a ton of memory on-board that hasn't been used anyway (no stored MP3s, videos, etc).

Does anyone know how to fix my phone? These issues are getting more than a little bit annoying. I can take screenshots if that would help diagnose the Calendar/other issues.

Please help/link me to threads where people have been subjected to the same troubles.

OP
Bimmerman

Bimmerman

Reaction score
Bump, please help.

Is there a way to revert back to the earlier OS? Or to solve my Google Calendar problem?

I know there's a lot of text there, but I want to give an accurate detailed description to make narrowing down the problem much simpler.

UncleN00b

Reaction score
Bimmer, I am sorry to read you are having so much difficulty. I have been very satisfied with Android OS as well as the HTC Incredible (I actually have 2 lol!), so it is alarming to me that someone is experiencing this many issues.

To address at least one of your questions, I think it is possible to install an older version of Android OS, but it is a manual process. Also, if something goes wrong, it could "brick" the phone. Do this at your own risk. Also, this will not act as a "revert" or uninstallation. This would be freshly installing the entire OS and (probably?) wipe the data on your phone. I have not done this so all I can suggest is to do some research for these procedures, and exercise caution.

Also, I am sorry that you have posted very well articulated and detailed descriptions of these issues, and NO ONE has responded in 9 days!? I love open platforms (and typically despise walled gardens), and find this behavior (lack thereof) highly uncharacteristic. Hopefully, someone will respond with better information than I was able to offer.

OP
Bimmerman

Bimmerman

Reaction score
Thanks, UncleN00b. I'm just as confused why it's been nearly a month and no ideas as to why my phone is acting weird.

A new issue has cropped up as well.

When texting, I cannot delete more than four characters at a time without the delete key becoming useless. I can still write more characters, but I cannot delete them. Half the time, the phone decides I wanted to delete the message entirely, and pops up the message delete dialog. The only way around this is to hit the back arrow button once the delete key stops working, which for some stupid reason dumps me back in the text message thread at the beginning, not at the most recent message to which I'm replying (which the phone did originally). I then need to scroll down through all the messages between myself and whomever I am texting until I reach the bottom of the thread, where the most recent message is. I then need to press the text input box, where my response is drafted, and pray the damn thing doesn't decide the delete key is dead again.

Does anyone on this widely trafficked forum have any idea why my phone has so many issues? It's been a month, am I writing too much for internet attention spans?

Please help!

TL;DR- my phone's broken and acting weird, read this and the first post to figure out why. Please help!

zaohua768

Reaction score
I cannot delete more than four characters at a time without the delete key becoming useless. I can still write more characters, but I cannot delete them. Half the time, the phone decides I wanted to delete the message entirely, and pops up the message delete dialog. The only way around this is to hit the back arrow button once the delete key stops working, which for some stupid reason dumps me back in the text message thread at the beginning, not at the most recent message to which I'm replying (which the phone did originally). I then need to scroll down through all the messages between myself and whomever I am texting until I reach the bottom of the thread, where the most recent message is. I then need to press the text input box, where my response is drafted, and pray the damn thing doesn't decide the delete key is dead again.

jennyt

Reaction score
Bimmerman, I have been having all of these exact same problems! My sister and brother both have the Inc and have no problems at all. Any chance you ever got a fix on this? I was beginning to think that maybe I should take it down to Verizon and see if they'll swap it out for a new one, but ugh, what a pain!

Any advice would help!

J*