MultiTouch on the Droid

rayz007

Reaction score
Only a few places have mentioned that the reason the Droid lacks multitouch in the stock Google apps is due to Apple US patents. Is this actually the reason? Because if so, why do people say its a big mistake for Google not to have included it and hopefully they will "one day". As if the patents will no longer matter? And its not like Apple will license it to Google anytime soon, nor do I see Google paying a license fee either. And if its a patent issue, how do the the 3rd party apps avoid patent issues?
I guess the only stock app where this feature is most useful is the browser, and since the Milestone Browser is able to be put on the Droid without rooting, its kinda moot. Just kinda burns me when I read how the Droid is somehow deficient in its lack of multitouch when its most likely a legal issue and obviously not a technical one.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
During the Google Nexus One Live stream, someone asked if the Nexus One, or even the Droid, would see multi-touch enabled in the US, since the Milestone (Droid European basically) has it.
The question was dodged and basically came down to Google saying "We'll look into it". So I wouldn't hold your breath. Apple has this locked down somehow, someway.

izu516

Reaction score
Legal issue? The Droid Eris has it. The Sprint Hero and the European Hero have it. The Palm Pre, the Palm Pixi, numerous new Windows netbooks and notebooks, not to mention the Milestone, ... even Android has it! And the Dolphin Browser... need I go on? I really don't see Google's reason for not packing the Nexus One (and Android 2.1's main apps) with multi-touch.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Legal issue? The Droid Eris has it. The Sprint Hero and the European Hero have it. The Palm Pre, the Palm Pixi, numerous new Windows netbooks and notebooks, not to mention the Milestone, ... even Android has it! And the Dolphin Browser... need I go on? I really don't see Google's reason for not packing the Nexus One (and Android 2.1's main apps) with multi-touch.
That's the problem... no one does!

brochaos

Reaction score
apple does not own multi-touch patents. engadget did a pretty good writeup a year ago covering this. i think palm and nokia own most cell phone touchscreen related patents. but EVERYTHING has multitouch these days, windows, surface, those hp computers, other cell phones, etc. i don't really get it either.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nokia is pushing hard against Apple claiming patent infringements. And meanwhile, Apple has fired back claiming their own infringements! What a mess!

Nedaroth

Reaction score
Apple has no patent on multi touch. Google maps do not fly in europe so the milestone had to have something that we did not get here in the USA and multi touch was it.

Last edited:

FireDroid

Reaction score
I really dont see the draw, i rarely use it on my touch. I prefer the double tap myself.

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
[dead horse] multitouch goes beyond pinch-zoom! for keyboard, and for better onscreen game controls! [/deadhorse]

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
[dead horse] multitouch goes beyond pinch-zoom! for keyboard, and for better onscreen game controls! [/deadhorse]
Butternut! (Half Baked anyone? :)) *the dead horse*

.... "You hungry girl?"..... lol

FireDroid

Reaction score
Like I said, I dont use it all that much. I dont see the touch as a gaming machine in portable gaming, dont get me wrong it has some fun stuff to do while on the crapper or in the DR office but if I want real gaming I'll use my PSP or DSi.

It is a neat trick, I was in awe when steve was demoing it at ces years ago but after the "awe" factor wears off I, IMHO, dont have much real world use for it.