Multimedia Dock

rushguy

Reaction score
I got the dock app that puts your phone in dock mode lol I like the idea of a dock but I hate taking the case on and off.

rbullard

Reaction score
Dock Mode Fix

Okay... having read everything in every thread in these forums, I'm a bit frustrated and thought I'd summarize what I think I've learned and what is needed in an update.

My Droid times out when put in the dock, whether plugged into the wall or a USB port. When it times out, it switches from the default dock-mode clock to a smaller and brighter digital clock that slowly moves around the screen. So there's still a clock, but it's a different one, and it is BRIGHT. When I dock it in my bedroom and hit the dim button it's appropriately dim and I like it, but then a few minutes later it times out and gets BRIGHT with the new/different digital clock coming up. There doesn't appear to be any setting on the phone to change this behavior, and I've read every thread and tried everything that others have recommended.

The second issue/complaint I have is that when it's in dock mode, and I dim the clock, the white backlight on the home/menu/search/back buttons stays on. This is ANNOYING. The point of having it dimmed in the bedroom is so that it can be a replacement nightstand clock, and all of these damn lights and timeouts are pissing me off. This is software. It needs to be fixed. There should be a "dock mode" application that allows you to control ALL of these settings at a granular level. Come on Motorola!

josh

Reaction score
rbullard, I've not experienced the first problem you describe, but I definitely agree with the second issue. I wanted to use the Droid as a replacement nightstand clock, but those bright white lights are a deal breaker. I realize the lights are generally not controlled by an application, but considering this is a Motorola app and not some general Android app, I would think they'd be able to figure out a way to turn the lights off when the screen is dimmed.

jhom

Reaction score
Have you tried Better Alarm Clock? It will dim and time out the main display resulting in a black background with time and date displayed, but the 4 home buttons stay lit. It mimics the stock dock app but includes several other nice features. I use it every night, but I typically put the Droid to sleep so the lights are off. I have a LED clock on my night stand that I've been using for years and I'm use to it.

fogguy

Reaction score
Icon Puzzle

I'm new to the Droid and love it. I just received a desk dock from Amazon for under $20 which I bundled with another product in order to get free shipping. It works great and the display stays up 24/7 - always 'bright' unless I go to the USB connection in which case it dims.

A PUZZLE: Does anyone know what the display icon of the light bulb with the 'no power' slash is about? It is always there and doesn't change whether I'm connected through the USB port or off the A/C.

spphoto
4e0bf419.jpg
VIEW HERE

4e0bf419.jpg
spphoto

Last edited:

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm new to the Droid and love it. I just received a desk dock from Amazon for under $20 which I bundled with another product in order to get free shipping. It works great and the display stays up 24/7 - always 'bright' unless I go to the USB connection in which case it dims.

A PUZZLE: Does anyone know what the display icon of the light bulb with the 'no power' slash is about?

spphoto
4e0bf419.jpg
VIEW HERE

4e0bf419.jpg
spphoto

If you press it, it'll change to more of a "Night Mode" and you'll lose the notification bar at the top. There'll be a bulb on that to return you to the original display.

Last edited:

fogguy

Reaction score
Aaaha !

Thanks aaf709 - I tried pressing it yesterday but without enough determination at appears - so now I know - thanks again...

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks aaf709 - I tried pressing it yesterday but without enough determination at appears - so now I know - thanks again...

You're welcome. :)

The button used to be where the Home button (bottom right) now is. When they did the 2.1 update they swapped places. I guess they figured more people wanted to go to the home screen than make it dimmer at night.

kdmhongshi

Reaction score
My dock force closes whenever I click on the clock/alarm button. Any ideas for this?

And also, are there any custom dock apps available? Or is the "OEM" one the best thing out there?