Moving away from Vortex in less than 2 weeks.

Hiker5208

Reaction score
About 2 weeks ago my daughter needed a phone and adding a line was the best way to do it. I don't have extra cash right now as I am in the process of applying for SSD, so I was looking to do a cheap or better yet free phone. I was in chat with a Verizon sales rep and told her I needed a phone with Froyo and support for Flash. She looked and told me the Vortex would do what I needed and a CPO phone was currently free. Cool, I could move to it and give my daughter my Droid 1 which has a physical keyboard. She wants it and I have found I really no longer use it. A bit smaller and lighter as well. So the rep walks me through ordering the phone and I get it set and give my droid to my daughter.

As you all know and I came to find out quickly, the vortex does NOT support flash and likely never will. On top of it all, I use Handcent for my messaging as it is much more user friendly for me. I turned off notifications in the stock app but I still get the message notification below the time on the lock screen. This means I have to delete every message I get out of the stock app to get rid of this. Extremely annoying to say the least.

I called a week after getting the phone and explained what happened. I tried to let them know that I took the phone on the advice of one of their reps and had asked the appropriate questions to determine whether the phone would meet my needs. The only answer I got was, return the phone and spend $100-150 for a phone that would work. Gee, the reason I took the phone was that it was FREE. With my limited income, I don't have the money for this. If I had, I would have bought something else I KNEW met my needs. BTW, I am a microsoft certified PC tech that has been in charge of specing phones for major corporations prior to disability, so I do know how to ask the right questions.

I had to call again about the messaging issue, and the tech I spoke with first did the same thing and the same offer. She did pass me on to a higher level tech on the messaging issue as we could not figure out a solution to it.

I got on with the higher level guy and when we went through and could not fix the issue which he was able to reproduce on the vortex he had there in the support area, he started asking me a few more questions about the circumstances. He asked why I did not turn the phone in and I told him that would put me in a situation where I had no phone to use and no money to get replacement. I only took the phone as the tech specifically told me it did what I needed and would have waited had she not. My daughter had a tracphone and could have used that for a bit as she has a landline also. She is also 80 miles away and I can't drive, so just running over to get my old phone ain't an option either.

Finally, this guy understood what my issue was and worked with me. I am not the type to try to game freebies, but being led to a phone that did not meet my needs was not fair either. I told him honestly that the whole thing was spur of the moment and that I normally would have researched the phone prior, but the tech was absolute that it would work.

I am getting a CPO Droid X and an extended battery as well from them at no cost. It might take a while, but Verizon seems that it will make it right if there is a legit issue that is not the consumers fault. I think he also got the idea that I did know what I was talking about when I led him to info on other phones on the Verizon site about the Samsung Fascinate update that was coming out that very day.

The Vortex in many ways really is not a bad little phone, just did not meet my needs. Have fun and enjoy all!