move ringtones to phone

mojo2608

Reaction score
I have a droid 2 and i am wanting to save my tones in the phone instead of the card. It seems that when somebody calls or texts me, it reverts back to the default system tone. I was using Zedge and ringdroid, but have uninstalled both. I was able to reset up all my contacts and alerts back to the tones that i wanted but they still sometimes don't play when somebody calls or i receive a text. I do not want to 'root' my phone but just want some advice on how to make it work right.

chrstdvd

Reaction score
1. Settings > Sound >Phone Ringtone or Notification Ringtone

2. Contacts > choose a contact > Home Key > Edit >Additional Info > Ringtone > choose, then save.

Use 1. to set general sounds et. anyone not assigned a specific ringtone.

Use 2. to set ringtone for specific contacts. Sounds like that is what you are doing, but perhaps you do not hit the "Save" button.

I use Handcent for texting and have not figured out how to set specific ringtones for individuals. Really not interested in doing that, so I never dug into it.

As to where the ringtones are stored. I put my ringtones in with my music in a folder on the sd card called ringtones. Then when in step 1 or 2 I am asked for a ringtone source, System or Music, I choose Music and then find the one I want.
Someone on here will eventually tell you the exact storage location for System Ringtones and you can then add ur's to that folder.

Hope this helps.

OP
M

mojo2608

Reaction score
I already know all these steps. They thing im wanting to know is where and how to store it in the actual phone instead of on the sd card.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

silverfang77

Reaction score
You need to root your phone, purchase and install Root Explorer, then use that to move your sounds into the appropriate subfolder in system/media/audio.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tappatalk

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
I already know all these steps. They thing im wanting to know is where and how to store it in the actual phone instead of on the sd card.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

You cant. Root enables you to get write access to the phones internal data. Other wise you are limited to a read only phone storage. If you want to put them on the phone internal memory, which seems a bit pointless, then you have to root. Otherwise I would see about getting to the root of the problem rather then a work around.