Motorolla to Unlock Bootloader

Desicrator

Reaction score
"As communicated yesterday, we are still looking at bootloader solutions that will meet the needs of both our developers and protect our end users." - Mark (Forums Manager) at get satisfaction.

unfortunately I figured they didn't mean TBH or any of our other Devs

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Don't trust moto. They are just trying to repair their image with these statements. I'll believe it when i see it. They are hoping we will forget about the locked bootloaders in a couple months. My guess is they will wait to see how sales are with the bionic before they unlock anything.

sent from my rooted nook color

PalmerCurling

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Well, if you check the thread in this forum, and my site wix.com/palmercurling/Project-Bootloader-Freedom, you can see the progress we have made on bypassing the lock down.

I know I will not be buying another motorola phone, and in fact, when my dad gets his droid incredible 4g, I'm getting his current one because I'm so unhappy with motorola's stance on open source.

Showing them with our wallets may be the only way to have an unlocked bootloader, sanctioned by motorola.

Sent from my DROIDX

King1126

Reaction score
Their response to this will determine if I stay with Moto. I spend a lot and rave a lot about my DX, and people have bought them and had me set it up. If they have no interest in helping a small group with something that doesn't affect them, then I am done.

What phone should I get? Big screen (4+) and decent specs are all I want with an unlocked bootloader. D1 is just too small for me to get used to. Suggestions?

PS3Gamer

Reaction score
I'm interested in this topic, as I thought you could easily root and install a custom ROM.. Am I missing something here?

Sent using my Xmas present (Droid X)

PalmerCurling

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I'm interested in this topic, as I thought you could easily root and install a custom ROM.. Am I missing something here?

Sent using my Xmas present (Droid X)

The custom ROMs we have now are essentially glorified themes. Nothing truly custom, as we can't change the kernel too much. This is to allow a completely different kernel to be booted.

Sent from my DROIDX

rustymcbain

Reaction score
I just don't get it... when I had the droid 1 roms were coming out like hourly but I found most of them unusable on a daily basis. I was upgraded to the droid 2 and fell in love with that phone it was fast and quick with no blur great everday phone. Then I got a fantastic deal for a new x for $49 with new 2yr. Sold the d2 for buku cash and and finally at peace with my phone. Let me ask this you guys not happy with the x are you running liberty? That just might be your issue. This phone is the best phone out to date period. Untill the new phones for vzw come out it will reign supreme. Do you guys what it to fly you around or do your math homework? I know personnaly ten people with android phones I am the only one that is rooted, regardless of how cool they think my x is. Use that number 10% which is super high really, do you actually think Moto is gonna change their minds because 10% of the users want it? They are never gonna unlock it they said that and continue to say it, let's work on ways to improve on what we already have. They are a ton of devs that do this and spend lots of time doing it. Maybe contribute that to them instead of these constant threads on a no win situation.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

luigi90210

Reaction score
I just don't get it... when I had the droid 1 roms were coming out like hourly but I found most of them unusable on a daily basis. I was upgraded to the droid 2 and fell in love with that phone it was fast and quick with no blur great everday phone. Then I got a fantastic deal for a new x for $49 with new 2yr. Sold the d2 for buku cash and and finally at peace with my phone. Let me ask this you guys not happy with the x are you running liberty? That just might be your issue. This phone is the best phone out to date period. Untill the new phones for vzw come out it will reign supreme. Do you guys what it to fly you around or do your math homework? I know personnaly ten people with android phones I am the only one that is rooted, regardless of how cool they think my x is. Use that number 10% which is super high really, do you actually think Moto is gonna change their minds because 10% of the users want it? They are never gonna unlock it they said that and continue to say it, let's work on ways to improve on what we already have. They are a ton of devs that do this and spend lots of time doing it. Maybe contribute that to them instead of these constant threads on a no win situation.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
i dont mean to flame you when i say this but in about 3 months our DXs will reach its EoL and we will no longer be supported by motorola, how will having liberty rom or some other "rom" fix this issue?
no custom kernel means WE CANT PORT NEWER ANDROID RELEASES TO OUR PHONE

why do you think they OG droid is still rocking to this day even though it is last years model
hell if moto doesnt unlock or release something for the bootloader im going with HTC(at least they dont make it impossible to hack their phones)

NeoLogic

Reaction score
How is it that Motorola Devs can develop an uncrackable bootloader (hell, even bluray has been cracked) but they can't make a freaking decent rom from google source? They had to F it up with blur and bloat. This American company will get passed up by Korean and essentially Chinese companies because of their ignorant software developers.. not hardware devs.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i dont mean to flame you when i say this but in about 3 months our DXs will reach its EoL and we will no longer be supported by motorola, how will having liberty rom or some other "rom" fix this issue?
no custom kernel means WE CANT PORT NEWER ANDROID RELEASES TO OUR PHONE

why do you think they OG droid is still rocking to this day even though it is last years model
hell if moto doesnt unlock or release something for the bootloader im going with HTC(at least they dont make it impossible to hack their phones)

Do you have any inside information to back up this statement? Because it's my experience with Motorola so far that this is just not true.

Motorola just recently did a system upgrade for the D1. I have heard from sources that it's a very real possibility that there will be a version of Gingerbread for the D1. So I don't know where your time table of support comes from but so far Motorola has not abandoned it's customers.

One other thing as well. Motorola doesn't give a rats behind about the people in this forum who keep saying they will not buy it if they don't unlock the bootloader. The amount of people who root are vocal, but in reality your numbers are very small, even within this forum.

PalmerCurling

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
We wont buy, and we will suggest to our friends not to buy motorola as well. Protest through boycott. I will not be buying a motorola phone again for some time.

Sent from my DROIDX

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've really tried to bite my tongue on this one but just can't :icon_eek:

To everyone out their not happy with their device due to a locked bootloader, BUY ELSEWHERE!!!

As Hookbill stated, do you really think they are gonna give a "rats behind" if you leave and go to some

other manufacturer? They won't miss ya, at all. And what is everyone gonna do when all other service

provider/manufacturers start taking notes and follow lead with what Motorola is doing? I guess everyone

will be more happy going back to morse code. I'm very optimistic and have faith in what aliasxerog and

others are putting forth trying to get this done. But I love my X, locked bootloader or not. I didn't have

the honor of owning the OG Droid, I know that I've missed out. And I've spent time over in that section seeing

what they are still able to do. I admire, I don't envy the freedom they have with their devices. Simply because

if I wanted to buy one to play with, I could. I just dont' think people will ever be as happy as they were if they

compare everything to the way things use to be. Verizon has always taking care of me. And I will continue to

use/buy their product. JMO :)

luigi90210

Reaction score
One other thing as well. Motorola doesn't give a rats behind about the people in this forum who keep saying they will not buy it if they don't unlock the bootloader. The amount of people who root are vocal, but in reality your numbers are very small, even within this forum.
you think i dont know this? motorola should listen to their customers whether it be a big percent or small percent it doesnt mater, they made money off of us and as far as im concerned we still have a voice

EDIT
im not asking moto to unlock the bootloader completely, im asking they provide tools so rom developers can use their devices as development platforms

Last edited: