Motorola Working on a Cheaper Version of the Moto X

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
MotoX-12-colors.jpg

It looks like some of those previous rumors about an inexpensive Moto X weren't completely off-base. According to CNET, they were informed directly from Motorola that cheaper versions of the Moto X are in the works after-all. We aren't sure if they will be quite in the $300 range, but it is possible. Motorola Mobility CEO Dennis Woodside mentioned in an interview that the newest Moto X will be just one in a series of devices which will launch in the coming months. Here's a quote from the CNET article,

Next on the company's hit list is a device that is less expensive than the current Moto X. The device will be designed and priced to appeal to international customers in markets where people generally don't buy subsidized devices, as well as the prepaid wireless market in the U.S., where wireless consumers are also expected to pay full price for devices.

It looks like the rumors and leaks got criss-crossed. Motorola's plan the whole time was to follow the lead of Samsung and some of the other carriers by offering a branded series of devices. The next Moto X will be squarely aimed and priced for the emerging markets. There is obviously no word on if this version will come to the U.S., but we wouldn't be surprised if it did.

Woodside added, "Moto X is the brand that we are most focused on. And there is more to come. You will see additional products within months."

Source: CNET

xsirxx

Reaction score
So let me get this straight... Motorola says hey here is the Moto X but dont buy it because we have a cheaper one coming.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
"And don't buy that one because a month later we will announce a ruggedized one."

/Burned out on phone hype....

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
/Burned out on phone hype....

Too true. Wish I could double-like your post.

You don't think that the cheaper one will have the same specs, do you?

The news I read yesterday made it pretty clear that the version for "developing" and prepaid markets would have lesser specs. No reason for anyone to cross their fingers and hope for more.

-Matt

Asgard

Reaction score
It can use the same specs and be cheaper.

Like it or not, the fact that it's assembled in America makes it more expensive than if it's made in China.

And since they are saying that it's for the international public, people outside the USA don't care about the fact that the phone is made on the USA.

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
It can use the same specs and be cheaper.

Why not just lower the off contract price of the X? Seems to me it'd be more expensive to make an entirely new phone and try to sell it than it would be to just sell the X at a slight loss.

So you're expecting a 2GHz, quad core processor for $300 on the Google store? Is that what you're saying?
Why not, the Nexus 4 starts at $300.

Last edited:

xsirxx

Reaction score
So you're expecting a 2GHz, quad core processor for $300 on the Google store? Is that what you're saying?

If by current specs yes. If by updated specs then 300-400$ would be about right. There is the Nexus 4 currently that can do it.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Why not just lower the off contract price of the X?

I think the retail (unsubsidized) market for phones is quite small - basically a few million VZW users looking to keep unlimited data, a handful of developers, and some people with money to burn.

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
I think the retail (unsubsidized) market for phones is quite small - basically a few million VZW users looking to keep unlimited data, a handful of developers, and some people with money to burn.
Next on the company's hit list is a device that is less expensive than the current Moto X. The device will be designed and priced to appeal to international customers in markets where people generally don't buy subsidized devices, as well as the prepaid wireless market in the U.S., where wireless consumers are also expected to pay full price for devices.
So this cheaper version is targeted towards people buying unsubsidized in both the US and over seas. Easiest solution would be to lower the retail price and open it up to international customers (if possible).

Seems a lot cheaper than creating an entire new phone and trying to market said phone.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Easiest solution would be to lower the retail price and open it up to international customers (if possible).

It's a brand new phone. Why would they lower the price and lose money? Older phones like the IP4 and S3 can be discounted because of production efficiencies and falling component prices. Yes, in 6-12 months the Moto X will be cheaper.

In hindsight, it was stupid to think this phone was going to be $300 off-contract. It was stupid to think Google was going to subsidize it (as evidence from that article today showing the lengths they've gone to NOT favor Moto) - and we all wanted to believe it and crossed our fingers. But it's always stupid to think an OEM is going to leave millions of dollars on the table just to try and grab market share.

Last edited:

BOBD1950

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC M8
Crap..! I have that Phone already..I'm looking at now ,in my top drawer. With the battery rubber banded around it. Called the DroidX2