Motorola: What Apps do users want? Gets Over 10k Votes 4 Unlocked Bootloader instead

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I know my vote is in there. Will they listen, no. But when people start going to HTC to even more pad their bottom line, they may start to realize they went in the wrong direction.

That's why I got the Thunderbolt...

The next Motorola phone will sell millions, and most probably outsell the Thunderbolt. Moto is going to have no problems pushing their products.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
As much as I like unlocked bootloaders and all, I've been using a DROID2 lately because my OG Droid was becoming too slow for me. I'm running the GB leak and the new Blur really isn't that bad. I'm not using any of the social networking aspects of it, but my phone runs perfectly fine. There are things about Cyanogen Mod that I miss, but it's not enough to make me get a phone that I don't truly want for the sole purpose of having an unlocked bootloader.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Oxymoron

Reaction score
As much as I like unlocked bootloaders and all, I've been using a DROID2 lately because my OG Droid was becoming too slow for me. I'm running the GB leak and the new Blur really isn't that bad. I'm not using any of the social networking aspects of it, but my phone runs perfectly fine. There are things about Cyanogen Mod that I miss, but it's not enough to make me get a phone that I don't truly want for the sole purpose of having an unlocked bootloader.

I agree. My whole need for an unlocked bootloader is to overclock my D1. Custom ROMs are great also, but not necessary. With the new tech coming out, I'm sure whatever I get next will be plenty fast right out of the box. Custom ROMs would be nice, but I can get by with ADW and a few tweaks here and there... unlocked or locked, it will smoke my D1.

*customized tapatalk signature*

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I voted for about 10 of them just now, I think it's pretty funny they'd legitly ask an open question like that. Smack in the face!

52brandon

Reaction score

I agree. My whole need for an unlocked bootloader is to overclock my D1. Custom ROMs are great also, but not necessary. With the new tech coming out, I'm sure whatever I get next will be plenty fast right out of the box. Custom ROMs would be nice, but I can get by with ADW and a few tweaks here and there... unlocked or locked, it will smoke my D1.

this is true, but when they stop updating it during the 1-2 years you're stuck with it, it's nice to be able to overclock and run more efficient ROMs on newer software to keep up with the newer tech

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
I agree that 10,000 votes give or take a few hundred isn't a lot when you look at the millions who are uninformed and the potential of their devices whether they care or not. What company trying to make the largest profit possible in their right minds would not give all their customers what they want if it's possible. I work for a major corporation myself and we are always looking at every angle possible to maximize profit and Motorola clearly isn't.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
One of the arguments I here is that Motorola doesn't want to honor warranties on phones that have unlocked bootloaders because they can be pushed beyond their normal operating range. I don't blame them one bit, that is one they should sell unlocked bootloader phones without a warranty. Unlocked bootloader phones or not, phones are still rooted and if Motorola think they are doing VZW a favor, then IMO they are clearly mistaken.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
With all that being said, obviously Motorola is going to do what they think is in their best interest and clearly many of us that think users should have the choice of unlocked bootloaders or not are missing something that Motorola believes is going to give them the greatest return on investment. So more power to you Motorola and thank you other phone manufacturers.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score

this is true, but when they stop updating it during the 1-2 years you're stuck with it, it's nice to be able to overclock and run more efficient ROMs on newer software to keep up with the newer tech

Great point!

darkmatter

Reaction score
I totally agree with the point of extending to useable time of a phone via custom roms. The d1 would be far outdated today, but thanks to custom roms, its still running with the pack.

Imo, they should either support a phone for two years after it stopped production (so the ppl that bought it know that their phone will remain up to date for the remainder of the contract)...or, when a phone reaches its end of life cycle, unlock the bootloader so the community can keep it up to date. (Idk if that is something they can do, just throwing it out) ie, locked while in production, then do an ota unlock or something.

I can agree with not necessarily needing unlocked bootloader, but I want/need root access at least.

anuraj1

Reaction score
I totally agree with the point of extending to useable time of a phone via custom roms. The d1 would be far outdated today, but thanks to custom roms, its still running with the pack.

Imo, they should either support a phone for two years after it stopped production (so the ppl that bought it know that their phone will remain up to date for the remainder of the contract)...or, when a phone reaches its end of life cycle, unlock the bootloader so the community can keep it up to date. (Idk if that is something they can do, just throwing it out) ie, locked while in production, then do an ota unlock or something.

I can agree with not necessarily needing unlocked bootloader, but I want/need root access at least.

I really like your ideas. Opening the bootloader at the end of warranty or eol makes sense.

Sent from my Motorola Droid

cj1896

Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen I give you the Motorola stock price! Notice a trend on their YTD line?

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score

This would be awesome, but they would never do this because it would lower their profits. Motorola has one vision, and that's to push as many devices as possible and they don't give a crap what people want out of their phones.