Motorola Sends Out Soak Test Invites for Verizon Moto X 2014; Maybe Lollipop?

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Moto-X-2014-vzw.jpg

Moto X 2014 Edition owners on Verizon should check your email inboxes. Some of you may have received a soak test invite for an update to the phone. There's no word yet on whether this is just some security update, or the full blown Android 5.0 Lollipop.

Based upon what we have been hearing from the grapevine, it is very possible this is Android 5. Of course, it could simply be the Advanced Calling 1.0 feature that Verizon has coming for the device. We will keep an eye on this and let you know what happens!

Be sure to check out our dedicated Moto X 2014 Edition section here: Moto X 2014 Edition Android Forum at DroidForums.net

Last edited:

djsiva

Reaction score
I received my invitation to the soak test but never signed up. I just tried and it says the invitation has been closed. :(

crxlsturbo

Reaction score
It's 5.0 Lollipop. It's not a soak test. I just did a system update and it's asking me to install 5.0 lollipop on my Verizon Moto X 2nd gen. Good day

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here's a quote with an update from Phandroid:

"[Update]: Well, that didn’t take long. The upgrade is already starting to roll out to Moto X 2014 soak test participants, and should everything go well then everyone else will have a lot to be thankful for by the time Turkey Day rolls around. You’re looking for version 22.21.11.en.US, and the file will cost you a good 678MB (so be sure you’re on WiFi with a nicely charged battery)."

@crxlsturbo... It's interesting that you are getting the update and didn't sign up for the soak test. Perhaps they are sending it out to a few random people as an "acid test"? Either than or they figured out it works fine and are already pushing out the full update...

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
It's 5.0 Lollipop. It's not a soak test. I just did a system update and it's asking me to install 5.0 lollipop on my Verizon Moto X 2nd gen. Good day

Here's a quote with an update from Phandroid:

"[Update]:
@crxlsturbo... It's interesting that you are getting the update and didn't sign up for the soak test. Perhaps they are sending it out to a few random people as an "acid test"? Either than or they figured out it works fine and are already pushing out the full update...

I don't know for sure if there is or is not an active test right now, but...there are always a few phones that "slip through the cracks" end up being notified of new software for people that are not participating in the tests. It's bound to happen and does happen all the time...probably surprising people that never knew any better. :)

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't know for sure if there is or is not an active test right now, but...there are always a few phones that "slip through the cracks" end up being notified of new software for people that are not participating in the tests. It's bound to happen and does happen all the time...probably surprising people that never knew any better. :)
Thanks for the heads up! I kinda figured it was probably something like that...

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
They always send out the software to devices that aren't signed up.. Its part of their policy.. Idk y... But there's always a few hundred that get it.. That didn't ask for it..

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Yep...it might be over and ready for public OTA. If so, that's good news for Moto X owners.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

crxlsturbo

Reaction score
Nope it's the actual ota. People at xda on the Moto x forums are reporting they are getting it also. Don't think I was one of the lucky ones who gets it. We'll see in the coming week.

So far everything is running smooth. No bugs at all. Only thing I don't like is the lock screen. I have a pattern lock for it. So whenever I open my phone it goes to lock screen. I swipe to open then I enter my pattern to unlock the phone. Kind of like a 2 step process. Anyone know how to disable the lock screen so it goes to my pattern?

Sent from my XT1096

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Awesome! They really did send out soak test invites, so perhaps they just said "ah to heck with it... let's just blast it out there!"

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
They did the same thing with the Xoom. Their "soak test" was a whopping 24 hours to see if the updates borked devices upon install. If there wasn't an install issue it was mass released and they ironed out bugs later.