Motorola says will split in 2 in early 2011

tehpriest

Reaction score
I could not post this in the news section but if you want to move it there please feel free to do so.

Motorola says will split in 2 in early 2011

2010-02-11 17:03:00 PST , , — (02-11) 17:03 PST , (AP) --

Struggling technology company Motorola Inc. said Thursday it plans to split in two in early 2011 — with one half containing its consumer-focused mobile phone and television set-top box products, and the other holding divisions that target business customers.

The split will give current shareholders a share in each new company, which will be roughly the same size in terms of annual revenue at $11 billion. Both halves will be publicly traded.

Last edited by a moderator:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This has been known for sometime. Their phone division makes money, its other products they are struggling with. I remember reading about this over a month ago. The date on the OP's link says 2/11.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Considering the date on the article is from Feb, 11th this really isn't 'News' lol. This has been going on for a while and they (Moto) actually started talking about splitting last year. If memory servers the initial split was blocked for some reason (think they wanted a three-way split) so Moto rethought it and came up with the current 2-way proposal.

Actually unless things have changed recently it was the 'consumer' end (i.e. phones) that was loosing/costing them money. The business sector is what kept the company afloat (we're talking government contracts, high-end telecom systems ect) . One reason that until now (the Droid) we haven't seen much from them in the past couple of years (except the Razr). Their consumer market had become stagnant and fell behind (largely because they became focused on the business lines.

The split is supposedly to allow the business sector to thrive w/o the risky chances they are about to take to reclaim their place in the consumer market (e.g. 20 smart-phones this year... really... that's just dumb...). Personally the Droid is the first, and LAST Moto device in my house in years. Their consumer branch will probably fail so they are trying to protect the profitable sectors (which is a smart move).

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not with the phones HTC is rolling out. All OS things aside the Droid isn't really impressive on a hardware front. I'd much rather the H2D or a few other phones running Android.

Motorola has been behind in tech for a long time... If this phone had ANY other OS it would be just another overlooked cell from a all but dead cell company.

Last edited:

edthesped

Reaction score
Good thing they aren't planning to split in 2.1 or it would take FOREVER:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

darreno1

Reaction score
Not with the phones HTC is rolling out. All OS things aside the Droid isn't really impressive on a hardware front. I'd much rather the H2D or a few other phones running Android.

Motorola has been behind in tech for a long time... If this phone had ANY other OS it would be just another overlooked cell from a all but dead cell company.

Hmm with the glaring hardware deficiencies on the Nexus 1 (poor 3g reception under certain circumstances and a half-assed implementation of multitouch) on a phone that's supposed to be Google's flagship, I wouldn't be so quick to discount Moto on hardware in comparison to HTC. And it looks like that messed up touchscreen HTC decided to use is present on other phones and probably some future ones as well. It's hard to deny that despite some questionable design choices (e.g flat keys on the keyboard), Moto hit it out of the park with the Droid. The camera is no where near as bad as some make it out to be so I don't cosider it a hardware defect. If they can keep at least this level of quality on their next phone, they'll survive and come out a winner IMO.

Personally I can't wait for Droid 2.

Last edited:

edthesped

Reaction score

Hmm with the glaring hardware deficiencies on the Nexus 1 (poor 3g reception under certain circumstances and a half-assed implementation of multitouch) on a phone that's supposed to be Google's flagship, I wouldn't be so quick to discount Moto on hardware in comparison to HTC. And it looks like that messed up touchscreen HTC decided to use is present on other phones and probably some future ones as well. It's hard to deny that despite some questionable design choices (e.g flat keys on the keyboard), Moto hit it out of the park with the Droid. The camera is no where near as bad as some make it out to be so I don't cosider it a hardware defect. If they can keep at least this level of quality on their next phone, they'll survive and come out a winner IMO.

Personally I can't wait for Droid 2.

With the exception of the camera I think the Droid is a fine phone. My camera constantly uses slow shutter speeds leaving me stuck with lots of motion blur. I have a launch day phone and just recently forced myself to start using the keyboard and it feels a little more usable every day.