Motorola Reveals Specs and Features for the New Moto X

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
moto-x-moto-maker-new-palette.jpg

We figured the next big Motorola reveal you guys would want to hear about most is the new Moto X. Just as we reported previously, the new Moto X will not be called the Moto X+1, but will simply keep its Moto X name. The differences in this device and the previous generation are not pronounced.

First, it keeps the same overall shape and design aesthetic of its predecessor, although the previous plastic-heavy build is now replaced with a slimmer aluminum frame. It is also larger than the previous gen Moto X.

Furthermore, now the face feels smooth all the way to the edges with no discernible separation between the panel and the frame. The phone also comes with a front facing speaker (similar to HTC's One series), and there are four new infrared sensors on the front.

Now, let's breakdown the revealed hardware,
  • 5.2-inch AMOLED 1080p display running at 423 pixels per inch (PPI)
  • 13 megapixel camera - the previous Moto X's small and separate LED flash is now replaced with a ring flash surrounding the back camera
  • 2MP Front Camera
  • Quad-core 2.5Ghz Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor
  • 2GB Ram
  • 2300mAh battery
  • Pure Android 4.4.4 KitKat - with Moto Voice, Moto Display and Moto Actions - (with Android L promised later)
  • 4G LTE
  • Weighs only 144 grams
As you can see, the specs are a nice improvement over the original. Combine this hardware with the legendary efficiency of Motorola's implementation of Android on the Moto X and this could be a real winner with smooth performance and long battery life.

moto-x-comparison-to-previous-gen.jpg

It's also worth noting that the Moto Maker customizations have returned for this new Moto X as well. In fact it looks like we will have a few new designs like four new leather materials for the back cover. Once it releases you will be able to customize your Moto X with Moto Maker at both Verizon and AT&T. Additionally, if you want an unlocked and carrier-free Moto X, you will be able to order it exclusively through Moto Maker.

Here are the pricing and availability details: The new Moto X will hit the streets late September in North America, Europe, Latin America, and Asia. It will be $100 with a two-year contract. For now, only AT&T and Verizon have been confirmed as carriers in the US. The unlocked version can be purchased through Moto Maker on motorola.com for $500.

For further discussions regarding the next generation Moto X, we already have a dedicated section right here: DroidForums Moto X

[Update: earlier we erroneously reported that the new Moto X has two front facing speakers. It turns out it only has one front facing speaker. We edited the story to reflect the accurate information.]

Source: Greenbot

Last edited:

realged13

Reaction score
Any news in regards to the lowering in price of the OG Moto X? I am in need of a new phone off contact, but hoping to price goes down before I revert to ebay.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I am concerned that since they've kept the name, the old MotoX will be shuttered completely and not discounted.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
No word yet, but if you can be patient a week or so, we suspect there will be a huge sale on that device (assuming Moto still has many in inventory).

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I paid $700 for my G3. $500. is a deal. I hoped it would be 64 bit running the SD 805. Guess we can't have everything...

Reactions: cr6

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Also annoyed that they still insist on releasing a 16GB phone. My god... it's 2014... it is TIME to start making the base models 32.
It's only $50. bucks more for the 32 and that's off contract.

realged13

Reaction score
So how do these specs compare across the board with the other new phones? I know the X's software is supposed to run more efficient, thus less hardware specs.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
It's only $50. bucks more for the 32 and that's off contract.
The PRICE isn't the point I was trying to make. Why even SELL a 16GB phone? Come on now, that's just lame. NO PHONE should come with 16GB anymore. HTC figured it out. The M8 doesn't come in 16GB.

So how do these specs compare across the board with the other new phones? I know the X's software is supposed to run more efficient, thus less hardware specs.

On paper they look pretty damn nice, I'd say...
2,5GHZ Quad Core is pretty high end...

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I DO love the front speakers. I know some people HATE that but I think it's fantastic. Tired of turning my phone over in a crowded noisy environment when I play a video for someone so they can hear it... but of course can't watch and listen at the same time.

realged13

Reaction score
The 16gb doesn't bother me. I rarely take pictures. Most of my music is on Amazon MP3 or I listen to Pandora through my car while driving.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
The only interesting feature is ring flash for camera. Hoping here that they scrapped their previous camera producers and designers and hired someone who can get it right for a change.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Seriously? I am surprised more people aren't annoyed by 16GB phones.
Memory is cheap.
My Wife is a pretty average user and with a new kid around (pics, pics, pics), space constraints are a CONSTANT hassle for her. Granted she has a 16GB iPhone (but she'd have the same issue with any 16GB phone) but she is constantly running into space issues because of all the pics.

16GB is mediocre. At best.
And "ONLY" $50 for another 16gb? Robbery....
64GB SD Cards are $50....

Other then that, though, and the size...
I DO like it.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I've never had a problem with my last three 16gb smartphones. But then I tend to run my phones lean and only download apps I actually use regularly. That said, all of my devices have come with a slot for an external SD card, so there's that. The bulk of my space is used by pictures & music and having an ext sd card is critical in this day and age. 16gb works fine for me.
Personally I expected better specs, but if it's anything like the previous model, these specs should do just fine.

tap'n on my S5