Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Motorola Releases a Maintenance Update For Motorola Milestone, But Pulls It

by Quentyn Kennemer on July 6th, 2010

As many Motorola Milestone users across the ocean (and many Motorola Droid owners here back home) await Android 2.2, Motorola’s gone ahead and released an maintenance update for the device overseas. It’s said that it will improve stability and improve the device’s overall performance.

Such fixes should see a decline in force closing issues, random reboots, bug fixes for the alarm, and improved music player functonality with enhancements to the device’s audio quality. Furthermore, they’ve tweaked the proximity sensor to be more accurate doing calls to prevent the screen from staying on while it’s up to your ear.

Finally, PIN lock improvements have been made to allow more flexibility in setting the lock timer when using Exchange email, airplane mode’s performance has been improved to ensure your phone timely picks a signal back up upon turning the feature off, and using “My Location” in Google Maps has been fixed to eradicate the error of not being able to get a location lock when using Wireless Networks for your location provider instead of the GPS radio.

Not Froyo, but it should be a welcome fix if you’ve ever experienced any or all of these issues. Unfortunately, Motorola’s since had to pull the update due to another bug, ironically. In the meantime, just know that you should get notified of the update OTA at some point, or you can go ahead and download the update using Motorola’s PC update tool – found on their website – whenever they’re ready to make the update live again.

[via Motorola Europe Facebook]
phandroid.com

sarie

Reaction score
Mine is downloading the update right now, OTA...32.1mb.

Exciting! But if this doesn't fix the alarm issues, I will be so sad.

Edit: Update! I just finished installing mine. Right off the bat I got a force close with Launcher Pro...boo. However, I have noticed that my Quickoffice icon in the launcher is different.. I'm not noticing much difference in accuracy of the proximity sensor, unfortunately.

Last edited:

iamdarren

Reaction score
any chance you can nandroid it?

i have wiped and then loaded 2.1 i then done an update over MSU which said that i updated.

HOWEVER! here are the stats from my about screen (~UK user~)

please let me know what your version is, have i actually got the new one? Or did it get pulled before i got my update. done it about 5:30PM GMT

-Model Number
Milestone

-Firmware Version
2.1-update1

-Firmware configuration version
GAS_EMEA_USASHLS00RTGB_P023

-Baseband Version
3GSMEPU91A_U_91.07.4EI

-BASEBAND CONFIGURATION VERSION
UCASHMR2EMEAB1B805C.OR

-KERNEL VERSION
2.6.29-OMAP1
A21146@CA25RHE74#1

-BUILD NUMBER
SHOLS_U2_02.31.0

sarie

Reaction score
Sadly I have no experience with nandroid...so...unless I get some super detailed/dumbed down instructions, probably not. :frown:

Anyway, here is my info, at least:

-Model Number
Milestone

-Firmware Version
2.1-update1

GAS_EMEA_USASHLS00RTINT_P016

-Baseband Version
3GSMEPU91A_U_91.07.56I

UCASHLSMR2EMEAB1B806D.0R

-KERNEL VERSION
2.6.29-omap1
milestcm@il93lnxebld05 #1

-BUILD NUMBER
SHOLS_U2_02.36.0

I hope that is helpful to you!

iamdarren

Reaction score
Ok cheers for the info, the best way to nandroid it is you have open recovery. G.O.Ts is good. G.O.T.'s Blog

that version is the one i was already using on g.o.ts, so i might just restore my nandroid i made of that.

There is an update which needs to be applied before you can use update.zips which is called the vunerable expolit on the boot loader. basically lets us root the phone and then take control over the phone more. I would be interested in using the g.ots version again, i just wanted to get the offical version on my phone.

from what i remember, (i may be wrong) There was a thing about the build number which indicated which country it was from, I thought 31 was UK and 36 was GERMAN, but where are you from? obviously this may be a bad guess, and G.O.Ts blog mentions the 30 numbers as newer versions.

Where abouts are you from though, and do you have the QWERTY version?

i dont think its worth dumping it yet, cos its not gonna be anything new.

But it does sound very interesting that they pulled the version due to a new bug which has come out of their efforts. They seem to give with one hand and take with the other lol

cheers

Sadly I have no experience with nandroid...so...unless I get some super detailed/dumbed down instructions, probably not. :frown:

Anyway, here is my info, at least:

-Model Number
Milestone

-Firmware Version
2.1-update1

GAS_EMEA_USASHLS00RTINT_P016

-Baseband Version
3GSMEPU91A_U_91.07.56I

UCASHLSMR2EMEAB1B806D.0R

-KERNEL VERSION
2.6.29-omap1
milestcm@il93lnxebld05 #1

-BUILD NUMBER
SHOLS_U2_02.36.0

I hope that is helpful to you!

landroid

Reaction score
Mine is downloading the update right now, OTA...32.1mb.

Exciting! But if this doesn't fix the alarm issues, I will be so sad.

Edit: Update! I just finished installing mine. Right off the bat I got a force close with Launcher Pro...boo. However, I have noticed that my Quickoffice icon in the launcher is different.. I'm not noticing much difference in accuracy of the proximity sensor, unfortunately.

Can you make a Nandroid Backup...THX!!!!!

sarie

Reaction score
I will try to! But I make no promises. If I need help though, I know who to go to! Hopefully by the morning I will have something...

4iedemon

Reaction score
If you have root, do you have to un-root before updating?

dasilva333

Reaction score
I have a Telus Milestone, from what I understand I can apply this update
Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites! which is the "ITALY Service SBF SHOLS_U2_02_38.0" and:
1. I will not lose my data
2. Because its Italy I just have to change my locale back to Canada
3. I should be able to apply root using the vulnerable recovery
4. It should fix all the issues listed in the first post

Do I understand all this right? Because if so I just need the go ahead to apply this update.

Eggos

Reaction score

You may lose 3g, since they dont run all 3 of the same frequencies aa telus. Flashing a thai version will guarantee you better ressults.

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

dasilva333

Reaction score

You may lose 3g, since they dont run all 3 of the same frequencies aa telus. Flashing a thai version will guarantee you better ressults.

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

Can't I just apply the 3g Hack to resolve that issue?

[HOW TO] Get your 3g back when using f/w with diffrent Frequencies - Motorola Development Community

sarie

Reaction score
I don't know...I'm not rooted, sorry! I hope I can still do the nandroid thing--the tutorials I've read say I need to be rooted to use it...any idea?

I have noticed a HUGE increase in my battery life by the way!

iamdarren

Reaction score
the vulnerable exploit should work for that mate. if your willing to get yourself a RSD lite.

theres a very small SBF file.

once you load that you will be able to use nandroid.

you will probbaly be better using Skilraz's open recovery or the most recent development of it which is called g.o.t.s open recovery. there is a very simple menu where you can click root. where you wiill be rooted and then you can click nandroid and then backup. make sure you dont do all. you only wanna get the system, not all your personalised data.

depeneds if you fancy doing the nandroid?

1.vunerable sbf
vulnerable_recovery_only_RAMDLD90_78.zip

2. RSD lite
RSDLite - download here - Motorola Development Community

heres the page where all known nandroids are at the moment motorola_milestone:sbf [And Developers]

i would like to warn you though, backup your stuff first of all, as i dont wanna be guilty of messing up your mob lol worst that will happen though is you reload all from the beginning.