Motorola Offers Their Assurance That Nothing Will Change After Google's Acquisition

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
google-motorola-mashup.jpg

Previously, we had folks from Google, including Andy Rubin himself, reassuring us that Motorola will operate independently after the acquisition by Google. Now it seems that we are getting the same comforting from Motorola. Motorola's Senior VP of Portfolio and Product Management Alain Mutricy has recently gone on record assuring that Motorola Mobility will remain a separate entity after they are acquired by Google. Since the acquisition announcement speculation over how this will affect Google's mobile platform has risen. Google has previously stated that after the acquisition they will have nothing to do with Motorola's manufacturing plans and that it is solely meant to expand their patent portfolio, but this is the first time we have heard from Motorola on the subject.

So far it sounds like things are supposed to be business as usual between the two. What do you think?

By eDogNights

Source: PhanDroid

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I don't think they understand. Us nerds just want to know if they're going to kick Blur to the curb and unlock the bootloader.

Anything else regarding Moto we really couldn't give a ...

What are THEY talking about when they say things will stay the same?

Barkleyfan

Reaction score
I think I dumped a lot of money into Razr Maxx (3 of them) banking on the idea that the merger will bring change on software policy. Certainly hope it pans out.

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
I personally think that after the acquisition, some things at Motorola absolutely should change. There's a lot of room for improvement in Motorola's software integration with Android, if ya know what I'm sayin'...:dry:

pinoy_92

Reaction score
so were still getting screwed over by motorola and google now?

then again google started screwing with us when they decided to store info about us for their custom tailored "ads."

CletusVanDam

Reaction score
I think I dumped a lot of money into Razr Maxx (3 of them) banking on the idea that the merger will bring change on software policy. Certainly hope it pans out.

I think that bet is a long shot. Their software policy might eventually change, but only for future devices.

When I first heard about the Google and Moto Mobilie merger, first thing I thought was, "All Motorola devices will be blur free, with unlocked bootloaders?!".

Barkleyfan

Reaction score
I think that bet is a long shot. Their software policy might eventually change, but only for future devices.

When I first heard about the Google and Moto Mobilie merger, first thing I thought was, "All Motorola devices will be blur free, with unlocked bootloaders?!".

I'm cool with timely updates, although I wouldn't complain about devs having kernel access. I'm honestly pretty happy with stock ROM. I just think devs could streamline the kernel for some amazing battery life given the chance. My thunderbolt absolutely needed developer intervention. This could get me by just fine without it. But I feel for OG Razr owners. They could use a leaner kernel.

lgwhitlock

Reaction score
Things better change or I'll never buy another Motorola device again. First they better unlock the bootloaders, then I think they should strip the Blur to make upgrading current devices from the last two years easier. Lastly they need to guarantee all devices under two years old always get upgrades to the OS. Anything less and they are just another Android phone maker which makes the Google buyout only useful for patents. It would be sad to see that happen...

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I thought it's been pretty well established that VZW is behind locking the bootloaders. Moto might be able to better assert their will, but they appear to be targeting corporate and the govt more and more.