Motorola Media Link PC Software

romeov

Reaction score
Hi guys, first post here, so glad to find a dedicated Droid forum! Already reserved at Best Buy for this Friday.

Anyways, I did a search and saw no results for the little gem that Gizmodo found in their review of the Droid (I think it was Gizmodo anyways).

Upon complaining how there was no way to sync multimedia and files, they updated the story with a link to Motorola's Media Link software specifically built for Motorola Phones running Android:

http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN/Consumer-Product-and-Services/Mobile+Phone+Accessories/Software/Motorola-Media-Link-US-EN

I know it's not an end all solution, but I thought it was a great find that I had seen nowhere else, so I wanted to share the link here, enjoy!

Last edited:

lauriep

Reaction score
I just downloaded this, and it looks like it will be very useful for importing your iTunes stuff. I like that it is created especially for the Motorola products, specifically the Droid. As soon as I opened it, I was able to see all of my iTunes music and podcasts. Alas, no Audible...

amb4582

Reaction score
I know this forum topic hasn't been touched in quite a while but I am optimistic someone who has the answer will glance here.....

Does Motorola Media Link automatically convert Divx/Xvid files to mp4 when I try to sync video files????
Sorry if this question has already been asked but I did do my fair share of searching

HEMDROID

Reaction score
Hi guys, first post here, so glad to find a dedicated Droid forum! Already reserved at Best Buy for this Friday.

Anyways, I did a search and saw no results for the little gem that Gizmodo found in their review of the Droid (I think it was Gizmodo anyways).

Upon complaining how there was no way to sync multimedia and files, they updated the story with a link to Motorola's Media Link software specifically built for Motorola Phones running Android:

http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN/Consumer-Product-and-Services/Mobile+Phone+Accessories/Software/Motorola-Media-Link-US-EN

I know it's not an end all solution, but I thought it was a great find that I had seen nowhere else, so I wanted to share the link here, enjoy!

Interesting its a Nero product,,,

OP
romeov

romeov

Reaction score
I know this forum topic hasn't been touched in quite a while but I am optimistic someone who has the answer will glance here.....

Does Motorola Media Link automatically convert Divx/Xvid files to mp4 when I try to sync video files????
Sorry if this question has already been asked but I did do my fair share of searching

Yep, it will convert them for you

amb4582

Reaction score
Perfect! Thank you romeov, really appreciate that.

Now, to pose another question; if Motorola Media Link (which is supposedly pretty "clunky") can convert files to the proper format for the droid, why is there so much discussion on using Handbrake and other stand alone conversion programs to convert videos??

tc1

Reaction score
I think it's a terrible program...you are better off just using a third party program to convert your videos and just drag and drop your files.

Bear in NM

Reaction score
I too have had better luck with dragging and dropping over the Motorola program. Perhaps I do not fully understand syncing yet, but the Motorola program would not recognize the music on my phone as being there, and "redownloaded" ALL my music. When it did so, no album art. I let the phone cook for a while, and it did not update the art.When I drag and drop, no problems with the art.

Same thing with WMP 11.??? It would sync the music, but again no art.

Again, perhaps my understanding of syncing is fouled up, but I would think that any program would look on the phone, compare to the PC software and only add changes to the music or playlists.

It looks like the Motorola program may be a bit more robust in that it handles photos and videos, but in general when it comes to these two types of data, I am more inclined to treat them as one way, just off of the phone and onto the PC, where 3rd party programs can handle them much better.

Craig

amb4582

Reaction score
I tend to agree with your philosophy, Bear in NM, that dragging and dropping is easier, especially for music and photos. However, in this case, since the video format must be converted in order to play correctly on the Droid, I think I may try syncing only my videos since it automatically converts them.

I am awaiting my Droid, and I hope that this is even possible through the Motorola Media Link software (Selecting only to sync videos instead of music, photos, and videos)

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Amb,

The Motorola program is not terribly robust in the "settings" department, but I just looked and found where you can toggle the music settings to not link to anything, allowing you to manually add them. Or it appears that you can specify WMP and import them.

The photo and movie seetings are very sparse, as to controls. Intersting thing as I was checking for you, the program found my photos automatically in a folder I have set up on one of my partitions, but did not continue to scan my job folders where I have lots of imagery associated with my work. Which, by the way I would NOT want to be added to this program's associations. I just tried to delete a picture from within the program, and the prompt was to remove to the recycle bin. Did not confirm, but that sounds like complete removal from the computer, not just unlinking, or what you typically get from photo/music software, the option to unassociate but not remove from disk.

In any case, the program is not very robust in the greater scheme, but as you stated, may be helpful for specific tasks. I would just recommend going slow at first, to make sure that you do not find yourself "associated" with more than you want.

Craig

amb4582

Reaction score
Well thank you very much, that was very helpful. I appreciate you taking the time to check this out for me.
Now I atleast have a baseline guide for transferring files to the Droid.....

Thanks again!

nelsons

Reaction score
Using Vista -when try to connect my phone is detected, but when I click on connect I am told to make sure the SD card is mounted properly. I've unmounted it and remounted it and keep getting the same error. Any help would be appreciated