Motorola Droid scrolling up and down and pressing buttons on its own.

jrod052

Reaction score
Hello, I have the original Motorola Droid and I've been experiencing weird problems as of yesterday. When my phone is unlocked, it will just start scrolling up and down and pressing apps on its own. I don't know how to explain it, but its like someone is just running their fingers all over it and pressing buttons. Sorry I can't get technical enough, but I would just be looking at a webpage or an email and all of a sudden the screen will just start going crazy, scrolling up and down and pressing all kinds of links. I haven't done anything different since I've owned it (change chargers, dropped it, got it wet, etc) so I don't think its anything I've done recently. Thanks for any help.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
I don't know what's going on either, I had mine do that yesterday. It just went crazy. I pulled out the battery and then when I started the phone back up it wouldn't get service. I am rooted so I turned it back off, booted into recovery and restored my latest backup and haven't had it happen any more, yet.

kmulliger

Reaction score
IF you have flashed a differnent kernel and overclocked it, it may be acting up do to that or if you recently flashed a new rom that is deodexed that is also a possibility. Had mine do that before and could temporarily alleviate the program by quick press power button to turn the screen off, then turn back on and unlock. Not expert opinion or advice here, just a few possibilties...

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I recall issues like this occurring due to:

1. Using a non-stock battery charger,
2. Dirty screen - particularly grease,
3. Task Killer and Anti-virus apps not playing well,
4. And the worse case - defective digitizer.

Good luck.

OP
J

jrod052

Reaction score
I don't know what's going on either, I had mine do that yesterday. It just went crazy. I pulled out the battery and then when I started the phone back up it wouldn't get service. I am rooted so I turned it back off, booted into recovery and restored my latest backup and haven't had it happen any more, yet.
Thanks. How do you boot into recovery and restore the latest backup?

sherri

Silver Member
Reaction score
^^^^Assuming your phone isn't rooted, to boot into recovery, turn phone off. Open keyboard (physical slide out keyboard)...Press and HOLD the "x" key (the letter "x".. ) While holding this down, press power key. Keep holding "x" until phone boots. Will be in recovery mode. Use keypad "directional" key to choose, and power key to implement....

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

MegaSlammo

Reaction score
My last Droid developed that problem. There is any moisture AT ALL on the screen, dry that baby til its warm with THE DISPLAY OFF, preferably remove the battery. When there is moisture on the display, even if it's steamed up or your fingers are sweaty (<that's not as bad though.) Using the display will allow that liquid to penetrate and gradually ruin the crystals. So, eventually, once this has happened the screen will act sporadically, sending 'commands' where you aren't really touching...

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

MegaSlammo

Reaction score
By the way this happened to me on the same Droid you have.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Thanks. How do you boot into recovery and restore the latest backup?

You have to be rooted to restore a backup. The fact that you ask means that you are not rooted and therefore have not made any nandroid backups.

^^^^Assuming your phone isn't rooted, to boot into recovery, turn phone off. Open keyboard (physical slide out keyboard)...Press and HOLD the "x" key (the letter "x".. ) While holding this down, press power key. Keep holding "x" until phone boots. Will be in recovery mode. Use keypad "directional" key to choose, and power key to implement....

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
That says how to boot into recovery, but it is a moot point as my solution requires root.