Motorola Droid Not Charging With USB

jesman0

Reaction score
I can't seem to find a computer that will charge my Droid via USB. I have tried many computers at the office today and none of them charge my phone. Is there some setting that I have accidentally disabled that allows USB charging? I am going to have issues with this phone that I otherwise love if I can't USB charge it.

OP
J

jesman0

Reaction score
Additional info: The computers I am using are Win XP service pack 3 computers. I have installed the drivers on this page, even though I don't think they apply to the A855 USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola USA and still no charging via USB.

Danthok

Reaction score
I'm sure you are doing this but I will mention it anyways. In the handbook it says to make sure it is connected to a high-power USB port, which is pretty much any one coming straight off the motherboard.

I had a no charge issue trying to use a USB hub.

Edit: By handbook I mean the folded up piece of paper that came in the box.

Last edited:
OP
J

jesman0

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I haven't tried using a USB hub, perhaps that will be a solution. I can charge my new BlueAnt Bluetooth headset though with the same ports that won't charge my Droid.

seaman

Reaction score
Are you 'mounting' your phone to the computer? I can't remember if you need to mount to the computer to charge, but I remember that u have to in order to add files. To mount your droid, plug the phone into the computer, and the USB symbol should appear in the top left corner of your phones screen. Then drag down your notification window. Click on the notification related to the computer, and click 'mount'.

Give that a shot. Don't forget to 'unmount' your droid and stop the usb device on your computer.

jscotti

Reaction score
Are you being patient enough to be sure the USB port is not charging? I ask because it takes probably 3-4 times longer to charge off your USB port than staight from the wall. I've been charging my Droid from the USB ports on my laptop without trouble. BTW, you do not need to mount the Droid for it to charge on your USB port. From the wall, it's been charging in about 2 hours and I'd say it took about 6-8 hours to charge on the laptop USB port.

Slighter

Reaction score
I had the same problem til I installed the drivers. The full user guide is also down-loadable (PDF) from the same page as the drivers. I get two usb notifications,
'USB connected" and "USB debugging connected". Click on either for options and mounting for file management.

OP
J

jesman0

Reaction score
I ended up swapping the cable with a different one at Verizon and it is working now. Thanks everyone.

kapukapper

Reaction score
Okay... I have some odd charge stories:

The included Motorola micro-USB cable charges with my computer and the USB charge plug...
...but a Cellet micro-USB cable doesn't charge with either of them. Oddly enough, it still connects for data.

My wife's LG EnV wall-charger works perfectly...
...but a Cellet wall-charger makes the touch screen go bananas. (I've since returned that one to Fry's.)

What the heck?

OP
J

jesman0

Reaction score
My trek down USB charging has taught me that there are Micro USB cables that can either charge, sync, or do both.

The USB cable I had previously, the one that didn't charge, is different than what I have now. The USB cable I have now has a Genuine Motorola hologram on the phone plug. I am guessing the rep gave me a generic one by mistake.

Verizon wants $20 for a second USB charging cable. Surely there is a cheaper 3rd party cable that will charge and sync the Motorola Droid via USB. I have already bought and returned the one at Fry's, the Cellet cable, as well.

I would love it if someone posted a cheap alternative.

REMilk

Reaction score
Less Expensive USB Cable

My trek down USB charging has taught me that there are Micro USB cables that can either charge, sync, or do both.

The USB cable I had previously, the one that didn't charge, is different than what I have now. The USB cable I have now has a Genuine Motorola hologram on the phone plug. I am guessing the rep gave me a generic one by mistake.

Verizon wants $20 for a second USB charging cable. Surely there is a cheaper 3rd party cable that will charge and sync the Motorola Droid via USB. I have already bought and returned the one at Fry's, the Cellet cable, as well.

I would love it if someone posted a cheap alternative.

These cables are readily available on eBay. I purchased one a few minutes ago.

deeeelang

Reaction score
BestBuy has a Rocket Fish 18inch cable that has two different usb plugs (two differernt micro), one is for the Droid. It says 19.99, but they are charging 15.99 for it right now. I plug it into my laptop dock station and it works great.

kapukapper

Reaction score
Well, just bought some OEM Motorola cables (SKN6238) and an OEM Motorola charger (SPN5334A) on Amazon.

Last year I got an OEM battery for my old Q from the same company and that worked just fine, so I trust they're the real deal. Wish me luck...

forceshield

Reaction score
Go in and ask for the LG micro usb cable. it was 4.97. I asked if it was the same price if I bought another one. I bought 5.