Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Haha! I don't mean to be bashing, I just think the line has run its course. The OEMs could still release the same devices without the exclusivity and Droid branding and they'd be viable options.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
A lot of them haven't done well because a lot of them just haven't been that good, plus after the OG Verizon pretty much axed the marketing budget. Marketing is what really drives sales, and Apple and Sammie have the advantage of a massive global campaign budget.

After the OG, I really have no clue what VZW strategy has been with the Droid line. Seems like it could have or should have been an exclusive flagship device, and one where they push the envelope that makes people say "I have to be on VZW because I have to have that phone!". Instead, VZW pays George Lucas for the branding and they pay OEM's for exclusivity...just to roll out mostly forgettable Droid phones.

I agree with some of your points, but not all. Yes, the marketing has not been as good as Samsung or Apple, Verizon runs a few commercials when a new Droid is first released and then they stop. They should probably sink a little more into better, continuous advertising. But I also read an article today quoting a Verizon marketing VP that said he will not release any sales numbers for the Droid Turbo...but it is selling good enough that they plan to continue the project.

As far as forgettable phones...I kind of disagree with that. There were some in recent years that could be considered forgettable by many people. But I would say that the Droid Maxx and Turbo are definitely not forgettable. Many of the features that came built into those two "Droids" are what many folks like and wanted in Android Lollipop (Touch less Control support - OK Google Now, Trusted Device - Smart Lock/Unlock, etc.). In my opinion, the last two Droid lineups (Maxx and Turbo) have been pretty innovative and have had features that other phone manufacturers lack or try to copy into their next model.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
The turbo was good enough to be a game changer.. But then we found out it cant do voice over data..after we buy it..then the updates, adding volte that sucked..then the lack of timely updates to 5.x.

Very few knew about all these other things..but if they would've not dropped the ball ..the turbo would've been a great "mark" in the droid family

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Droid (OG), Droid X, Droid 2, Droid 2 Global, Droid 2 R2D2, Droid X2, Droid 3, Droid 4, Droid Bionic, Droid RAZR, Droid RAZR Maxx, Droid RAZR HD, Droid RAZR HD Maxx, Droid RAZR M, Droid Ultra, Droid Ultra Maxx (or just Droid Maxx now), Droid Mini, Droid Turbo.

Edit: Forgot the HTC Droid Incredible and HTC Droid Incredible 2

I promise I didn't look any of that up. Might have missed one or two, but think that's pretty close. I have owned a lot of these. :)

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
Droid (OG), Droid X, Droid 2, Droid 2 Global, Droid 2 R2D2, Droid X2, Droid 3, Droid 4, Droid Bionic, Droid RAZR, Droid RAZR Maxx, Droid RAZR HD, Droid RAZR HD Maxx, Droid RAZR M, Droid Ultra, Droid Ultra Maxx (or just Droid Maxx now), Droid Mini, Droid Turbo.

Edit: Forgot the HTC Droid Incredible and HTC Droid Incredible 2

I promise I didn't look any of that up. Might have missed one or two, but think that's pretty close. I have owned a lot of these. :)

OIh man...My girl owned both D'incs....those were the days.

Dr.Death

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
The droid turbo will be my last droid phone and possibly my last motorola phone. When they do come up with something new it seems it has so many glitches your only solution is to mod the phone. The droid turbo had such great possibilities but it's like motorola just shoved it off to the side.

EyeOWA

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Wasn't the DNA a droid...phablet family. Took a beating from the Note.

SpeJ3435

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
64GB White Nexus 6
My Gmail notification is still "DROID" and I still smile when I hear it. I like the droid line as they have always been durable and strong looking phones. I love my DE Maxx. The Kevlar and black look just do it for me. I like the option of having other colors, but the matte black or red Kevlar are my favorite. If only they made a Maxx Mini (4.5") I would be in love.

I wish Moto would make the moto X be the small 4.5" phone and the Droid line could be the bigger 5.2" - 5.5" under the condition of the same specs. If the 2013 Moto X would have had a Maxx style battery, it would be my current phone. In my opinion, this would make more sense than releasing two phones that are only .3" in size. What is the point of offering the two phones?

I still know a lot of people who refer to Android phones as Droid phones. I agree they need to either put more money into marketing it, or drop it. The Turbo is an amazing phone, but they barely advertised it. Apple and Samsung own the market from advertising...not from superior phones. As far as pushing out phones with minimal upgrades, I don't feel the software demands better hardware and the manufactures know it. The only software that demands high end specs are games and only a small percentage of people play games that really push the limits of phones. Google has been pushing for the updates to use less and less resources so Android can run on the low end emerging market phones.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Wasn't the DNA a droid...phablet family. Took a beating from the Note.

Yes, looks like I forgot a few yesterday: the HTC Droid DNA, HTC Droid Eris and Samsung Droid Charge. All in all there have been a lot of phones with the Droid brand name.

I like the fact that the most recent...Droid Turbo...was released as just one phone, one size, with different color options. Having two or three released at the same time in the past could be a little confusing for some shoppers.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's hard to believe Moto released the X and Turbo last year with mostly similar specs, especially both being 5.2". And not sure if there was a smaller phone in the line-up last year (if there was, it was the typical middling 2-yr old hardware).

With bezels getting thinner, you can get almost 5" out of the original X footprint, 4.7" at least.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Crappy camera and now crappy processor? They better be giving these out for free.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
They better be giving these out for free.

Yes. That is the plan. But...only to people born on a Tuesday....in December...that can translate R2D2 into English.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk