Motorola Droid BIGGER Virtual KEYBOARD BUTTONS

movadoevo8

Reaction score
Hey guys does anyone know of any alternative Virtual Keyboard that has bigger buttons more or less the size of the iphone's Virtual Keyboard?

I came from an iPhone and I feel like when i use the Droid's Virtual Keyboard i'm aways making typos. It is very responsive and works well for the exception that they Keys are so tiny that results to typos way to often.

I know I have a physical keyboard and I do use it, but I like to use the Physical Keyboard for long e-mails/SMS messages and the Virtual for quick responses etc. I don't want to have to slide open the Keyboard for 2 or 3 words.

The problem I have is I feel that the Keys are so tiny and it makes makes me constantly press the wrong keys.

I've used Swype and it's ok, but i want a regular Keyboard where I have to press it.

Does anyone know of one I can download from the MARKET or even one that I have to download and install manually from Unkown sources? Thanks for your help.

:)

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
I really like the HTC keyboard. There is a modified version that has LOTS of options to make it suit your needs. The best way to get it is, go to:

http://gimpsta.com/themer/index.php

Sign up for a free account, then login and choose "Create a custom keyboard skin from scratch". Choose "v27 high res" and click continue. Now set the background, colors, etc that you want.

At the end, it will give you a zip file with a .apk in it. Put the .apk on your sdcard and install it using Linda or Astro or some other file manager.

Then go to Settings > Language & Keyboard and check the "HTC_IME mod" box.

Now go to a blank text box (like a new text message) and long-press in the box. Choose "Input Method" and choose "HTC_IME mod".

This is by far my favorite keyboard and it is free!

OP
movadoevo8

movadoevo8

Reaction score
I really like the HTC keyboard. There is a modified version that has LOTS of options to make it suit your needs. The best way to get it is, go to:

http://gimpsta.com/themer/index.php

Sign up for a free account, then login and choose "Create a custom keyboard skin from scratch". Choose "v27 high res" and click continue. Now set the background, colors, etc that you want.

At the end, it will give you a zip file with a .apk in it. Put the .apk on your sdcard and install it using Linda or Astro or some other file manager.

Then go to Settings > Language & Keyboard and check the "HTC_IME mod" box.

Now go to a blank text box (like a new text message) and long-press in the box. Choose "Input Method" and choose "HTC_IME mod".

This is by far my favorite keyboard and it is free!

Awesome I will have to try it out. Does it let me choose bigger KEYS?

ACalcutt

Reaction score
I use Smart Keyboard pro which has a few different themes. There is a free version so you can always try it out.

One thing to remember is the screen on the iPhone is slightly wider, and the extra width does seem to help a little. I was arguing with a co-worker that the droids screen was wider than the iPhone and got proven wrong....iPhone is wider, droid is taller, droid has better resolution.

OP
movadoevo8

movadoevo8

Reaction score
I use Smart Keyboard pro which has a few different themes. There is a free version so you can always try it out.

One thing to remember is the screen on the iPhone is slightly wider, and the extra width does seem to help a little. I was arguing with a co-worker that the droids screen was wider than the iPhone and got proven wrong....iPhone is wider, droid is taller, droid has better resolution.

Yeah it probably is wider and perhaps that is the reason. I don't really care so much what it looks like as far as the themes go. Heck I would be happy with a plain keyboard as long as the KEYS were a bit BIGGER.

OP
movadoevo8

movadoevo8

Reaction score

Yeah it probably is wider and perhaps that is the reason. I don't really care so much what it looks like as far as the themes go. Heck I would be happy with a plain keyboard as long as the KEYS were a bit BIGGER.

OP
movadoevo8

movadoevo8

Reaction score
Sorry about the duplicate post.

How come when i create my own custom keyboard, generate an .apk file and download it it's a zip. After I unzip the zip file i see folders, but no .apk file. What is up with that?

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
There should be an apk in the zip file, not folders. Are you on a Mac by any chance? I think it auto-unzips the apk also. Copy the zip file to your droid and extract it with Astro/Linda/etc

OP
movadoevo8

movadoevo8

Reaction score
There should be an apk in the zip file, not folders. Are you on a Mac by any chance? I think it auto-unzips the apk also. Copy the zip file to your droid and extract it with Astro/Linda/etc

Yeah i was on my mac. I did what you said and i was able to install it. Except when i choose htc as the input keyboard then when i go to click on a text box to make it show up i just get forecloses on the keyboard. I'm using BBv.0.21 Froyoa 2.2, perhaps thats why.

gIMpSTa

Reaction score

Yeah i was on my mac. I did what you said and i was able to install it. Except when i choose htc as the input keyboard then when i go to click on a text box to make it show up i just get forecloses on the keyboard. I'm using BBv.0.21 Froyoa 2.2, perhaps thats why.

That is exactly why, choose v27-froyo as your version instead :)

OP
movadoevo8

movadoevo8

Reaction score

That is exactly why, choose v27-froyo as your version instead :)

I tried that one first and got the foreclose loop then I tried the other.

Ill try again reboot first.

gIMpSTa

Reaction score
I tried that one first and got the foreclose loop then I tried the other.

Ill try again reboot first.

Oh, my bad. Any chance you could get me a logcat of the FC if you don't get it sorted out? I'd be happy to take a look.

Rated_R

Reaction score
You dont have to swype to use swype. You can type like normal. The only downsides are no double space period and the number keys are all screwed up. I like the graphix and size of the swype keyboard better.

rebornlaxer

Reaction score
HTC_ime all the way. I have been using it for a while. Get it from the xda forums it has toonnnnnnsss of ways to customize it

apastuszak

Reaction score
The key placement on the iPhone is not the only reason why you got better typing. The iPhone keyboard does predictive typing. When you hit a key is figures out what the most likely next keys will be and increases their contact area.