Motorola Droid 4 Ear Piece stops working - no call audio

R2D|2OID

Reaction score
Hi all -

I bought my DROID4 on release day, February 10th. Since the first day I've had it, the ear piece speaker would cut out during calls, and I would have to press the top of the phone together to get the call audio to return. Clearly there was something loose inside that was disconnecting. Instead of bringing the phone back, I have just been dealing with it because it only happened once every few days.

Over the last month, the problem has gotten much worse. Now, every single phone call requires me to hold the phone with my thumb and index finger squeezed tight to make the ear piece contact its circuit. If I let go, it almost always mutes the ear piece speaker and I can't hear anything. It is causing serious issues for me because I am constantly unsure if someone is being silent on the other end of the phone or if the speaker has cut out.

I called Motorola today to get a warranty replacement. They said that the warranty does not cover replacements. "What??". They told me to send the phone in for a repair. I am not interested in a repair, I want a new unit. What can I do to either fix this problem myself or get a Motorola representative to send me a new phone? I know that if I send the phone in they will wipe it and do a factory reset.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

r314bd

Reaction score
Call *611 (from your VZW phone) or 1-800-922-0204 for VZW Customer Service. They will send out a warranty replacement.