Motorola crippled Droid X, thoughts?

sa1

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I just downloaded HomeSmack. It's a convenient app that allows you to customize your home and search buttons. Too bad a friend of mine needs it exclusively for its ability to restore functionality to the double tap on home and long press on search feature of android. He wants to be able to use the convenient double tap home method for launching QuickDesk, but can't because it also brings up whatever you have it set to bring up via standard settings. For some reason you can't select 'none' as an option in Settings>Applications>Double tap home launch as to avoid conflict with other apps. I can do this on my droid 2 global... Long pressing on the search button is supposed to be another customizable shortcut. However, on the X, it is hard coded to bring up Google voice search. I actually have QuickDesk on my D2G set to launch on long press on search. It's really convenient. Why does the flagship X have this capability restricted? This is infuriating to me because it essentially makes some apps not worth using (QuickDesk is a prime example). Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

OP
S

sa1

Reaction score
I knew something about a custom rom would be the first reply.. not baggin on ya but my question is why should I have to go through all that trouble for something that should be standard functionality?

JustisLewis

Reaction score
Well they are different phones. With different functionalities. I know that at at least one point the D1 was like that. And its hardly a crippling design decision.

cpjr

Reaction score
Yeah IMHO, I know it's important to you and that's perfectly fine, but it is kinda a minor thing in perspective and if you (or your buddy) wants the X and wants that functionality....then that's the only solution. Complaining about it won't do anything.

mobile_sensei

Team Liberty
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Hey everyone. I just downloaded HomeSmack. It's a convenient app that allows you to customize your home and search buttons. Too bad a friend of mine needs it exclusively for its ability to restore functionality to the double tap on home and long press on search feature of android. He wants to be able to use the convenient double tap home method for launching QuickDesk, but can't because it also brings up whatever you have it set to bring up via standard settings. For some reason you can't select 'none' as an option in Settings>Applications>Double tap home launch as to avoid conflict with other apps. I can do this on my droid 2 global... Long pressing on the search button is supposed to be another customizable shortcut. However, on the X, it is hard coded to bring up Google voice search. I actually have QuickDesk on my D2G set to launch on long press on search. It's really convenient. Why does the flagship X have this capability restricted? This is infuriating to me because it essentially makes some apps not worth using (QuickDesk is a prime example). Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?
Your complaint should be with the apps you mention, not motorola. I run Simply Stunning X, no overclock, custom themed, bootstraped recovery, with clockwork recovery flashed, & have ZERO problems, no complaints. The apps like adw,homesmack, etc. all that stuff is garbage. the stock launcher may not be sexy, BUT IT WORKS without a flaw.....:blackdroid:

cpjr

Reaction score
Your complaint should be with the apps you mention, not motorola. I run Simply Stunning X, no overclock, custom themed, bootstraped recovery, with clockwork recovery flashed, & have ZERO problems, no complaints. The apps like adw,homesmack, etc. all that stuff is garbage. the stock launcher may not be sexy, BUT IT WORKS without a flaw.....:blackdroid:

Actually very good point....your mad that apps you downloaded don't play nice with what the manufacturer released. Motorola can't know ahead of time and won't prepare for whatever a dev wants to write ;) 200,000 apps on the market, not everything is going to play nice.