Moto X Bootloader Unlocked Via TrustZone Vulnerability

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Dan Rosenberg also known as DjrBliss is famous for cracking the uncrackable when it comes to bootloaders. Motorola has been known recently for their super secure bootloaders which are locked down tight with proprietary security measures. The Razr HD bootloader was thought to be unbreakable, that is until Dan released an unlock method for it along with the rest of the RAZR HD series.

The other day at the Blackhat conference Dan ended his security discussion by unlocking the bootloader of a Moto X on stage. The vulnerability used to unlock the bootloader is found in the "TrustZone", Qualcomm's "system wide approach to security". This unlock is said to work on any Android device using the Snapdragon SoC and supporting Trustzone. The Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8 have already been patched. The method has not yet been released. Dan may not decide to release this, but he has posted what he did to achieve the unlocked bootloader on the Moto X to his blog so we may see a method posted somewhere soon. For anyone getting their hopes up, Dan has already stated that this will not work with any Samsung or LG devices. So it is a no go for the G3, Note 3, or S4. Head to the link below for Dan's full writeup.

Via Dan's post

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
I wonder if this method would work for carrier devices (Moto X DE is already unlockable).

I also wonder if he will release anything further?

squeak

Reaction score
I'm hopeful that this will be released. I assume that if it works for the Moto X it will also work for the Droid Mini, Ultra, and Maxx. I have a Maxx and think it's an excellent device, but would love to have an unlocked bootloader and root. I've tried the mysterious Chinese middleman, but he currently doesn't have access to bootloader unlock codes for phones manufactured in 2013(with a few exceptions). So this is excellent news for me!

B-Unit

Reaction score
HAHAHAHAHA Love the timing. I ordered a Moto X on Thrusday, and was reading about this in a thread on XDA last night. Really hope this gets released, I would love to be able to tinker with my new toy.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
I had a flashback to my Moto Atrix 4G days. Would this blow a fuse in the phone? I don't understand a lot of this stuff in regards to Moto phones.