Moto X 2014 with Football Leather Case will be a Verizon Exclusive

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
moto-x-football-edition.jpeg

What do we have here? That story we did a few days ago regarding a leaked image of a unique Moto X with a "football leather" outer casing has been validated by Big Red themselves. As you can see in the screen-capped Tweet above, the "football leather" encased Moto X 2014 edition will be a Verizon exclusive device.

Not only is it coming to Verizon... it is already there! As the Tweet reveals it is now available on the Verizon network. You will need to shell out an extra $50 on top of the base price of the Moto X 2014 Edition to snag this one, but for football fans, that may be a small price to pay. Shout out if this is a device you would consider just for the football fan-service alone!

Source: Twitter - Verizon

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have to admit, that looks HOT.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I like football, but don't know if I'd buy that one. I prefer the wood backings.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Very nice looking. Very.

If they had an option to have the logo of your favorite NFL team on there, I'd have a serious dilemma on my hands with wanting to buy one.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Very nice looking phone. I really like my Droid Maxx and had a hard time deciding between it and the Moto X. But I agree with @bsweetness : if I could order it with my favorite team logo, I would almost have to buy one.

Last edited:

badtoy1986

Reaction score
Very nice looking. Very.

If they had an option to have the logo of your favorite NFL team on there, I'd have a serious dilemma on my hands with wanting to buy one.

100% agree with you. It needs the logo. Wont happen though due to team royalties. It really sucks that this is an exclusive. It would really make me consiter the X2 but I would not switch back to Verizon to get it. Ill just stick with the Nexus 6.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
now if one of the skin manufacturers can make one for the nexus 6. Go dbrand and slickwraps.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
100% agree with you. It needs the logo. Wont happen though due to team royalties. It really sucks that this is an exclusive. It would really make me consiter the X2 but I would not switch back to Verizon to get it. Ill just stick with the Nexus 6.

I think it could happen, but if it was going to happen, it would have been available from the start. Verizon has a very close relationship with the NFL (which is probably why they received this particular exclusive), with streaming through NFL Mobile being a major part of that. If any carrier were able to secure that deal, it would be Verizon. And Moto has experience with team customization for phones - the 2013 Moto X had official NCAA cases and team color combinations, so they've tackled (pun intended) having to deal with similar royalties in the past.

But it's probably not a likely addition at this point.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Speaking of NFL Mobile, I have had that application on my phones for a while now, dating back to the OG Moto Droid but I have rarely used it because it doesn't seem to show any games that I would want to see.

1. Has it gotten better over the years? (Does it still suck)
2. Can I use Chromecast and cast the games to my TV?
3. Does it check for Root?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Speaking of NFL Mobile, I have had that application on my phones for a while now, dating back to the OG Moto Droid but I have rarely used it because it doesn't seem to show any games that I would want to see.

1. Has it gotten better over the years? (Does it still suck)
2. Can I use Chromecast and cast the games to my TV?
3. Does it check for Root?

1. I don't think it has ever really sucked as far as available streaming content, but you need to understand what they do and don't show ahead of time in order to have realistic expectations. And what they do show has gotten much better. Here's what you get access to on your phone/tablet:
  • NFL RedZone on Sunday afternoons* (I think it's worth it for this alone).
  • Local Sunday afternoon games (any games that are publicly broadcast in your area will be available for streaming - this is new for the 2014 season)
  • Sunday Night Football
  • Monday Night Football
  • Thursday Night Football
  • NFL Network
NFL Mobile is free this year if you have a Share Everything plan. If you have any other type of plan, it's $5 a month (which is totally worth it in my opinion). It's not Sunday Ticket, but for free/$5 it provides a ton of content that's easily accessible at home or while you're out and about. I often stream RedZone while watching a game at someone's house or at a bar/restaurant.

2. As part of the agreement between the NFL and Verizon, they don't want you to be able to watch it on anything other than your Verizon device. This is because the agreement only covers mobile devices. Other providers (broadcast, cable, satellite) would be ticked off if Verizon's deal cut in on theirs. Because of that, there is no cast button in the app, nor can you connect to a TV via any sort of cables. But if you have a device that allows Chromecast screen mirroring, you can mirror NFL Mobile from your device through a Chromecast.**

There might be other methods of getting the content to a TV, but I have yet to find any.

3. I don't bother rooting anymore, so I can't give a definitive answer on the current version of NFL Mobile. But in the past it did check for root.

*NFL RedZone is not included in the free NFL Mobile that the Share Everything plans have. If you have a Share Everything plan, RedZone is $1.99 per month. If you don't have Share Everything, RedZone is included in the $5 NFL Mobile fee. All of the other content is available for free with a Share Everything plan.

**I should note that while I was able to do this with my S5, I now have a Note 4 (which doesn't support screen mirroring through Chromecast at this time). I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon has found a way to block Chromecast mirroring by now.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
With no laces it'll be tough to get it to spiral. Just saying.

We must...We must...increase our boost