Moto Droid SIM slot???

lonestar_traveller

Reaction score
I picked up a Motorola Droid at a Verizon store yesterday. The rep told me that the phone was "Global Ready." He said it has a SIM card slot and pointed it out to me when he was setting up the phone. Also said that we could call the "global department" to get it unlocked if we moved overseas (he said that a lot of the reps don't know how to do it, but that some do).

When I look at the empty slot, it looks like it is slightly wider than the memory slot next to it.

I have found nothing online to this effect. Everyone seems to say that the Droid has no SIM card slot. Anyone else heard of this?

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Droid is not global ready and there is no SIM slot. It is CDMA only. Sorry that the rep misinformed you, but I'm sure you can return it for something that fits your needs.

JCo352

Reaction score
I don't think so. Mostly overseas it's all GSM, the Droid is CDMA.

Anticitizen

Reaction score
He's flat-out wrong or lying. Yes, that is where the SIM card goes - in the Motorola Milestone, which is GSM, NOT the Droid. The Milestone is the Droid's GSM cousin.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Everyone seems to say that the Droid has no SIM card slot.
If in doubt, check with the manufacturer. You'll find no mention of GSM support at Motorola.com for the Droid.

I highly suggest letting the rep know as well as the manager.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
He's flat-out wrong or lying. Yes, that is where the SIM card goes - in the Motorola Milestone, which is GSM, NOT the Droid. The Milestone is the Droid's GSM cousin.

Yup ^^^ 100% Correct.

This comes up every once in a while. Some think it's for a 2nd SDCard...which would be cool.