moto droid 4 phone ear piece crackle/rattle

soxxie

Reaction score
I too bought a D4 and from almost the start I noticed odd audio issues when the volume of my voice went above mid range. However, I didn't want to swap to a CLNR so I hoped it would get better. It didn't. It got so bad I couldn't stand to talk without the call being on speaker phone. Verizon sent me out a CLNR D4 and out of the box it had audio issues. I was sent another that wouldn't turn on. They sent me another, and this one had the battery and adhesive cover hanging out of it, the empty cavity full of dirt and some hair. I took a picture and called them saying I wasn't going to get tagged by Moto for $500. (I was told from the start if it looked like the battery had been removed my warranty would be voided) The tech I spoke to then said my only replacement options were the D Razr (NOT MAXX), Samsung Stratosphere and an older HTC phone. When I asked if I could get a MAXX I was told there was a new policy in effect that they will only be sending out Maxx CLNRs for those with a Maxx.
I am HIGHLY disappointed in Moto right now, as I really loved my D4 but I couldn't deal with the bad phones anymore. Now I'll have to find a way to live without my keyboard.

xmguy

Reaction score
I too bought a D4 and from almost the start I noticed odd audio issues when the volume of my voice went above mid range. However, I didn't want to swap to a CLNR so I hoped it would get better. It didn't. It got so bad I couldn't stand to talk without the call being on speaker phone. Verizon sent me out a CLNR D4 and out of the box it had audio issues. I was sent another that wouldn't turn on. They sent me another, and this one had the battery and adhesive cover hanging out of it, the empty cavity full of dirt and some hair. I took a picture and called them saying I wasn't going to get tagged by Moto for $500. (I was told from the start if it looked like the battery had been removed my warranty would be voided) The tech I spoke to then said my only replacement options were the D Razr (NOT MAXX), Samsung Stratosphere and an older HTC phone. When I asked if I could get a MAXX I was told there was a new policy in effect that they will only be sending out Maxx CLNRs for those with a Maxx.
I am HIGHLY disappointed in Moto right now, as I really loved my D4 but I couldn't deal with the bad phones anymore. Now I'll have to find a way to live without my keyboard.

If you want a Maxx. I can tell you PUSH LIKE HELL!!! Call every few days. Best after 9PM (CENTRAL). Sundays are the best too. I bought the Bionic when it came out on September 8th 2011. I had NOTHING but issues with it (software wise). Went through over 20-30 of the darn things. All CLNR. FINALLY a manager agreed to swap me to the Razr Maxx it was "listed" as CLNR. However at the time it was right after launch so it was practically new. I only had to replace it once since I got it in February. So I'd push for it if I were you. I think the Bionic is not a bad phone NOW. You can ask for that too. but GO for the Maxx if you really want it. Don't give up. If they keep sending you phones and they never work right request a Maxx and move on. Best advice.

pilonull

Reaction score
Got a brand new phone (replacement) today, with the same annoying earpiece rattle..

So I just did the "suck trick" *ahem*

And the results were mind-blowing. **** actually worked.

4low4fun

Reaction score
I bought my D4 brand new the day it came out. I never had a single problem with it until I loaded the new ics leak. It started to crackle in the ear piece really bad.. I thought for sure it was a radio issue with the new os..since I'm off the upgrade path I thought for sure I had screwed my self.. but I just tried "the trick" (no pun intended) and sucked like a vacuum and sure enough! The darn thing works great!!
Thanks for the tip! (Again no pun...)

snowman

Reaction score
I'm on my 3rd phone for the same problem they won't send a new one spent hours on the horn
just another refurb , not really pleased with the D4 for this reason
would never recommend one to anyone now
wait for the Samsung S3 it will be the sweetest phone yet

Last edited:

jigawatt

Reaction score
On my 4th Droid 4, and the speaker is already going on this one too. I'm not going for another replacement, hopefully they'll swap it for a NEW phone, such as the RAZR, hopefully that doesn't suck too.

aubielynn

Reaction score
I've had my Razr Maxx for a few months now, after 3 CLNR phones, still no luck. Just so ya know....

Reaction score
Just got a secondhand "like new" bionic from ebay from a seller with 100% feedback and 83 feedbacks. Well they now have 98.2% feedback as the phone was clearly used and has this very speaker issue. Ebay buyer protection is a joke and would not side with me even after sending them pictures where I CIRCLED the nicks on the phone and used screen protector on it but w/e. I'm not quite sure how to protect myself in this situation again except by just straight up charging back my card without even asking ebay and letting them fight my bank. Wife wanted a LTE phone anyway and this way she gets to keep the unlimited data... I've gotten it to sound better by doing the "suck trick" tho... The good news is that replacement speakers for these things are $13 online and the phone is literally one of the easiest ones to take apart. Screws around the sides, guitar pick to separate the bezel from the chassis and then 2 more screws and a few ribbon cables and the speaker comes right out. New one in, button it back up and the phone should be 100% again. Everything else works fine and at least the screen is scratch free...

jigawatt

Reaction score
Well, after a couple more Droid 4's, they said I was getting a different phone, and I now have a Razr. By far, better phone so far. Droid 4 was nothing but a headache.