Moto 360 Teardown at iFixit Reveals Older Hardware, Small Battery & Low Repairability

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
moto-360-teardown.jpeg

The Moto 360 has finally hit the ground running. You know what that means... iFixit grabbed one and ripped it apart! Perhaps "ripping" wasn't really involved, but it definitely was carefully dissected. Their teardown revealed some interesting older hardware, and a small battery.

Here's what is worth noting in the device:
  • Texas Instruments OMAP 3 CPU manufactured on a 45 nm process (old power hungry tech)
  • 300 mAh Battery
This is rather disappointing and is likely what is causing all of the reports of poor battery life. That processor stacks up poorly against the Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 (with a 28nm process), and it is a year old.

At any rate, the IP67 watch isn't very easy to take apart and repair according to iFixit. It ultimately achieved a score of 3 out of 10 on their repairability scale.

Source: iFixit

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I got mine Sunday morning. Very lucky, drive 40 minutes to a bestbuy and was first in the door. They got 2 the night before and weren't even properly inventoried yet (may have been pre orders for other people actually =\) and haven't had an issue with the battery or speed. Yesterday was my first day of full use. I took it off the charger at 8am and didn't put it back on until a little after 10pm. it had 45% battery life and yes, I was playing with it quite a bit. I set the app on my phone to send all notifications to my m360 so it was turning on quite a bit. I was using voice commands with it and just all around playing with it. I drove a bit yesterday and every turn it would turn on thinking I was looking at my watch. I was happy with the battery life yesterday. It was in no danger of running out after just over 14 hours of wearing it. I take my watch off when I'm at home so the charger will be somewhere so when I get home from work It'll go on there but for now, its new and shiny its on all day and honestly, I may just do that anyways since it has more use than just a watch. I'll keep an eye on the battery but for now, its been on my wrist today for one hour and its only used 2% battery.

Also, this thing has some range to it when connecting to my phone. I just realized I left my phone in the bedroom and its still connected to it. At least 5 walls and maybe 20-30 feet away and its still connected to my phone.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Great to hear some real world experience. I finally got my hands on one. Okay, it was a display model at Best Buy (and the employees wouldn't let me buy one of the display models despite my begging).

Impressive. Just a tad bigger than the current analog watch I wear. I was shocked at how light it was. And it was very comfortable on my wrist. I cannot wait until a week from Friday.

Also, Motorola should have teamed up with Citizen on this thing and added solar recharging. That would have been sweet.