More Flappy Bird News: Death Threats to Developer & $100K Flappy Bird Phones

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Flappy-Bird-logo.jpg

If you needed further proof that some people in the world are bat-sh*t crazy (pardon the salty language), then look no further than the recent controversial pulling of the Flappy Birds game, and the ensuing madness that has spawned because of it. In case you haven't heard about it, there is a big "flap" surrounding the game.

The game was created by Vietnamese developer Nguyen Ha Dong, and it suddenly exploded in popularity in just a short time. In fact, the game was apparently so popular it has been downloaded hundreds of millions of times, and the developer was making over $50,000 per day in ad revenue. For a number of different personal reasons, most likely due to the stress and pressure of the fame and having to support this new monster, Ha Dong decided that he had had enough and pulled the game after a brief warning. Here's what he said,

“I am sorry ‘Flappy Bird’ users, 22 hours from now, I will take ‘Flappy Bird’ down. I cannot take this anymore. I also will not sell ‘Flappy Bird’, please don’t ask.”

Now, although some/many of us might think this is "unusual" behavior, we want to be clear that none of us here at HQ are passing judgement about Ha Dong's decision. We understand that some folks might not be ready for massive overnight success, and/or might have personal reasons for wanting to stay low-key. Regardless of Ha Dong's reasons for removing Flappy Birds, the ensuing reaction has been absolutely astonishing.

First, it is apparent that a number of folks out there were very addicted to this game. After issuing his warning and also after removing the game from availability, some of the games Twitter followers messaged Nguyen Ha Dong with death threats and suicide threats! Here's a quote with just a few of them,

“YOU BEST NOT BE DELETING FLAPPY BIRD BECAUSE I WILL MURDER YOU IF U DO.”

“If you delete flappy bird I will literally kill myself. It’s my drug and I am so addicted!! PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS TO MEEE PLEASEE.”

“I’ll find you and i’ll kill you.”

“NO ONLY 1 HOUR I WILL KILL YOU IF U TAKE IT DOWN.”

“I will kill you mother f**ker.” ~ BGR

The madness continues beyond that, however. There are folks out there selling their smartphones on eBay with the game installed on them, and they already have bids for as much $99,000+ dollars (check it out here: eBay Search for Flappy Bird Phones!) Here's a quote with more of the details,

Head to eBay right now and do a search for “Flappy Bird,” and you’ll be treated to tons of listings for devices — mainly iPhones — with the game pre-installed. Some are going for as little as $600, though one auction is sitting at a ridiculous $99,900 bid as of the time of this writing. The auction started at $650, but a few aggressive bidders have been battling it out since early Sunday morning. The craziest part is that — 74 bids and $99,900 later — there are still more than 6 days to go before the auction closes. ~ Phandroid

We have to admit, none of us here in at HQ have even tried the game, simply because we are currently too busy with beginning of year stuff to have the time. Regardless, we can't understand the hysteria surrounding this. Please sound off and let us know what you think of this game and the surrounding tomfoolery.

jspradling7

Reaction score
Unbelievable.

I downloaded and tried it on two different phones and couldn't get passed 4. lol I suck. I probably have a copy of it in TBU but have no desire to try it a third time. I do not see the attraction at all. As for getting stressed out about earning 50k a day... there must be more to that story.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I got to 66 on the game. Fun game, great for wasting time waiting for an appointment or something. Android users should know that its easy to find an APK. Many rooted users out there that could pass it out. As for Apple...ya...you have an iPhone. Enjoy the warm and fuzzies you get but unless you're jailbroken (good luck with Apple locking that down and the devs not wanting to release jailbreaks for fear of an update from Apple....). Anywho, the guy was smart. Make an easy game, get people hooked on it, create some kind of drama for it and rake in the money from the ads. He should have sold the game to Facebook or something for millions. They're dumb enough to have bought it.

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
Really, "Ha Dong"? I can't even make a joke about his name because there's laughter already in it.

Ohyea!

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Lol, probably pulled it because it received too much attention. Seems like one of those rip off programs intended to fly beneath the radar while still bringing in a decent amount of cash. Me thinks Mr. Dong, feared the wrath of Nintendo.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
$50,000 a day... I think I'll just change some colors and rerelease it for some quick cash.

That's ridiculous.

the game itself is alright... pretty difficult, almost too difficult.

it'll eventually be back I bet.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
If Nintendo ever wanted to make some real money, they would make a Super Mario Brothers port for touch devices, Free, using ad generated profits.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
He should just put the source code on ebay, sell it, and give someone else the headache of making 50K a freakin' day.

legalkill

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force
My daughter (12) and her friends play it alot apparently. I can't get past like 4.

Oh well.

jspradling7

Reaction score
Joust was more fun anyway (the old arcade version) there should be an Android version of that.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
This stupid hysteria is kinda making me yearn for a Witch hunt.

[video=youtube;zrzMhU_4m-g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g[/video]

Caesars

Reaction score
Something's def not making it out about his decision, o well it will be back when he blows all his money.

So who makes the money from the ads currently? Are they just never going to be updated ?

Nexus5/iPhone5s