Modifying ROM file

akiles

Reaction score
If a took a ROM zip file, like rubiXFocused1.9.0.zip (the one for the leak) and I look inside of it, it has a similar structure to that of my phone. I can see 2 folders, meta-inf and system. I have no idea what the first one is for, but I can see that system has /system/media/audio/notifications/.

Could I go into the zip and add files to these folders? I'm asking because I use different sounds for notifications which I have to move using root explorer from my backup to the phone every time I load a new rom.

Would modifying the zip file corrupt the rom? maybe the /meta-inf folder has a manifest of the files that should be in system?

Thanks in advance for any info/education!

Inkarnit

Reaction score
Technically, yes, but wouldn't it be easier to just put those files on your sdcard and after installing the ROM using root explorer to transfer those files to the proper folder?

OP
A

akiles

Reaction score
No :)

Open root explorer, navigate to the folder, select all, copy, navigate to system/et-al, mount rw, paste all... dude, I got stuff to do, I gotta read all the posts in this forum! lol

I wanted to know if it could be done without causing any harm to the rom zip -just being and old dog trying to learn new tricks. If I ever do it, expect a post from me titled "help, rom flash failed, stuck in boot". Hopefully you’ll tell me how to fix it ;)

Technically, yes, but wouldn't it be easier to just put those files on your sdcard and after installing the ROM using root explorer to transfer those files to the proper folder?

Reaction score
No :)

Open root explorer, navigate to the folder, select all, copy, navigate to system/et-al, mount rw, paste all... dude, I got stuff to do, I gotta read all the posts in this forum! lol

I wanted to know if it could be done without causing any harm to the rom zip -just being and old dog trying to learn new tricks. If I ever do it, expect a post from me titled "help, rom flash failed, stuck in boot". Hopefully you’ll tell me how to fix it ;)

The zip also has a Manifest file that lists all of the contents ... How would modifying the files affect this?

speedracex

Reaction score
If a took a ROM zip file, like rubiXFocused1.9.0.zip (the one for the leak) and I look inside of it, it has a similar structure to that of my phone. I can see 2 folders, meta-inf and system. I have no idea what the first one is for, but I can see that system has /system/media/audio/notifications/.

Could I go into the zip and add files to these folders? I'm asking because I use different sounds for notifications which I have to move using root explorer from my backup to the phone every time I load a new rom.

Would modifying the zip file corrupt the rom? maybe the /meta-inf folder has a manifest of the files that should be in system?

Thanks in advance for any info/education!

I do this all the time, it works just fine, and I agree, its a lot easier to do it this way than with root explorer. Make sure your sounds are .ogg format, I tried putting mp3's in one time and had an issue, so i converted them to .ogg

It works for programs as well, I change my mms, talk, and a couple other things from time to time. Before you go that far id use root explorer, amke sure the programs work with the rom, then next time update the zip with your own stuff

drod2169

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
What should also work easier, is if you put the files in a folder called "notifications" on your sdcard, they should pop up when you select a notification. Same for ringtones.

And no, adding those files wouldn't affect the update-script inside of META-INF. That is what controls the actual install of the rom, all of the permissions inside, and any symlinks that are needed.