Mms

jigsawkilr

Reaction score
Ok, A friend of mine sent me a text message today that was a piture that moved. I recieved the text and the picture but the picture didn't play.The stick man wasn't moving. Why is this? I am using the default messenger. Any advice?

JayMonster

Reaction score
You would have to look for a third party MMS application that supports animated GIF files as the default Android SDK (and thus most standard apps at least) do not offer support for this format.

OP
jigsawkilr

jigsawkilr

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any apps that would help with this?

JayMonster

Reaction score
A quick search of the Marketplace shows only one app that may display them... Lumasee... however the reviews on the product are awful and I would be wary.

jamiehughes

Reaction score
i was told by motorolla that these kind of messages weren't supported by this phone as well, seems kind of weird to me that pretty much any crappy,cheesy cell phone out there will show these but the newest, supposed fanciest phone on the market wont play them. seems like a screw up to me.

OP
jigsawkilr

jigsawkilr

Reaction score
I agree. My cheap Rogue phone would show them with no problem. Then I get the droid and it can't. I agree I think they screwed up somewhere. If anyone finds an app that works for this let me know please.

davidbehrns

Reaction score
I have two friends with the Palm Pre and both of them can play stuff like this without a problem. In fact they text it to me all the time (possibly because they know I can't view them :) It appears the default image viewer on the droid won't handle animated gifs (that seems to be what is opening them when I tap). I can save it to the SD card then play it on my computer but that is a pain.

I am going to see if I can find a different image viewer and make it my default (that might fix it). You are right, I think this is an oversight especially with the "Droid Does" motto, you might think they would have implemented that.

jamiehughes

Reaction score
i havent found anything that will play them, i cant see how this is an oversight on motorola's part, something must be messed up for this to not work on anyones phones..

richie1378

Reaction score
i havent found anything that will play them, i cant see how this is an oversight on motorola's part, something must be messed up for this to not work on anyones phones..

Iphone even plays it in the preview of the text but not when you click on it. I was hoping this problem was going to be fixed with the recent updates, maybe next time I hope. It's really embarrassing that our phone won't play vids like that.

JayMonster

Reaction score
No, it is not a flash issue. Flash has nothing to do with animated GIF files (or 3gp files). Flash is coming! GIF... well... I doubt it... but we shall see.

djstar2k2

Reaction score
its the android os. it dont support them i was also hoping that android 2.0 would but....thr G1 never supported them either oh well lol

Ableman

Reaction score
First let me just say that you "X" brainiacs that help us noobs are the BOMB!
That being said........ anyone know why my DX wont play the slideshows that are are texted to me? I got DXs for both my girl and myself last week, we both have the same settings but slideshows play on her's but I only get a triangle/! symbol instead of the slides.
Any ideas?

Loving my "X" :)

tennislvr8

Reaction score
Not receiving them on DroidX. Use gosms, enabled auto retrieve on stock program. Thougts?

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums