MMS not sending/receiving in Handcent

bejahu

Reaction score
My G-Nex running the latest Cyanogenmod 10.1 "monthly" has had problems with sending and receiving any kind of MMS message. The weird thing is it's only in Handcent. If I send a picture message it shows the "sending" circle that spins for infinity. Same with when I try to download a picture message or or mass text, it just shows the "downloading" circle that spins forever. I am not sure if I can send mass texts or not because I never do that, but I'm assuming that doesn't work either. So if I go into the stock messaging app any kind of MMS will download or upload with no problem.

I've already tried changing Handcent to the default messaging application for All(SMS & MMS).

This was never an issue to me to just download/send any messages I need to in the default messaging app and then return to Handcent but now my wife has an identical setup to me (phone, ROM and apps) and has the same problem. Life would be easier if I could figure out how to fix it.

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
When was the last time you deleted all of your text messages? I've found handcent doesn't like keeping a lot of messages in memory. Delete the ones you don't need and see if things improve. If not, uninstall then reinstall handcent. I moved to GO SMS because of the same problems you are having with handcent. I don't have these types of issues any more.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I've always had trouble with MMS in handcent. I've tried clearing data, deleting all messages, and reinstalling, nothing worked. Got fed up and just ended up switching back to the stock messenger.

One specific problem with Handcent was it never allowed me to receive any MMS from an iPhone user, ever. Stock messaging app works fine and I'm pretty sure ChompSMS did when I was using it.

OP
B

bejahu

Reaction score
Cool, thanks both of you. I tried Go SMS Pro and it worked fine. It definitely seems like iPhone users give the most trouble with MMS messages. Haven't had an issue since I used Handcent.

It's unfortunate, because I loved the customability of Handcent themes.

The only reason I don't like the stock messaging app is that it doesn't have pop ups when texts are received and I can't handle the light theme. My coworker with a Galaxy S3 has an awesome stock messaging app, it's too bad they haven't updated the Gnex to look the same.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I think the stock messaging app does have popups now, but yeah the "dark theme" is still quite light. I'm using GoSMS for the first time and I'm really liking it. Just the fact that it can get MMS from iPhone makes it a keeper for me, but it's also pretty customizable just like Handcent.

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
The issue I always seem to run into with Handcent is receiving MMS. Up until Jelly Bean I never cared for the UI of the default text message app but quite often I'd try to receive/view an MMS in Handcent and it would give me that error saying the message couldn't be downloaded. So then I'd switch to the default text message app and boom the MMS would load without delay :blink: Why hasn't this been fixed? I don't have Handcent set as the default app but I have notifications turned off on the default app so that I don't get dual alerts. What's interesting is that once I've viewed the MMS in the default app I go back to Handcent and can also view it there Handcent just has a glitch when it comes to downloading the MMS. Sometimes it's not even a picture or video either; if I get a group message it comes through as an MMS.

Since the default text message app has a better UI in Jelly Bean I'm tempted to just uninstall Handcent.