Miui rom

Stevetx1989

Reaction score
Will it void insurance if I root my phone?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

ugandanbear

Reaction score
Will it void insurance if I root my phone?

Not at all. You can always sbf back to froyo, update to the Gingerbread OTA and return it. I've done that 2 times now. There is so much support on this forum, especially with those who have the D2 if you have any questions. Just follow directions and you'll be fine! Have fun! You'll never look back.

hockeyhead019

Reaction score
Not at all. You can always sbf back to froyo, update to the Gingerbread OTA and return it. I've done that 2 times now. There is so much support on this forum, especially with those who have the D2 if you have any questions. Just follow directions and you'll be fine! Have fun! You'll never look back.

+1 I've done it once already as well

OP
Stevetx1989

Stevetx1989

Reaction score
Well, I was wondering just in case it was damaged and couldn't be set back to original. I don't know how far these companies go to save money.

Pandemic187

Reaction score
Well, I was wondering just in case it was damaged and couldn't be set back to original. I don't know how far these companies go to save money.

Supposedly physical damage is possible, but I've had my phone bootlooping countless times, and once I SBFed it was fine. So, I'm not sure what would cause physical damage other than physical stress, but I can tell you, it is neither easy nor likely.

OP
Stevetx1989

Stevetx1989

Reaction score
SBFed? I was referring to physical damage. I am sure cell phone companies don't condone altering their software.

Pandemic187

Reaction score
SBFed? I was referring to physical damage. I am sure cell phone companies don't condone altering their software.

Exactly, but these software modifications rarely (never, in my case) cause physical damage.

SBF refers to restoring the software to its out-of-the-box state. It has always worked just fine for me when I have screwed something up. No physical damage has ever been caused.

Also, I don't think the dealers care. If you return a phone to a dealer, they will likely SBF it themselves. As I understand it, the real issue is when people RMA their devices because they tried to mod them and end up with bricks. Yes, they have taken steps to prevent modding, but it's not because they think modding itself is bad. It's because it has cost them money. If they hadn't lost money because of it, they wouldn't care.

Last edited: