Microsoft Office Finally Comes to Android

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
office-mobile-android-google-play-store.png

Microsoft has been teasing it for quite some time, but they finally made it happen... Microsoft Office has come to Android officially. Intriguingly it is also FREE! Well... not really. You can download it for free, but you have to have an Office 365 subscription in order to use it.

There are two other things worth noting. One is you need Android 4.0 or higher to use it. The other is it doesn't work on tablets just yet. (This seems like a huge oversight doesn't it?)

Here's the Google Play Store link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.office.officehub

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Now, they just need a better Blackboard app, and you'll be able to complete classes via your smartphone.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Centura via Straight Talk Wireless

KaChow

Reaction score
Excellent find!!! Interesting enough I terminated and got a refund on my Office365 subscription months ago... hmm! Seems to still be active to 2/1/17, WIN!!! :hail:

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I had thought they were releasing something last September and it would be a paid app something similar to what's out there now, like Docs 2 Go. So I'm totally disappointed, not just for the lack of tablet support.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I had thought they were releasing something last September and it would be a paid app something similar to what's out there now, like Docs 2 Go. So I'm totally disappointed, not just for the lack of tablet support.

I'm with you. I'm not a big fan of subscription-based services.

KaChow

Reaction score
I'm with you. I'm not a big fan of subscription-based services.

I'm right there too with you. I was completely disappointed to know that my Office Professional only allowed me to have 2 downloads, which that includes the installation. When you spend that kind of money on software, you should have lifetime rights, like they had for home users in the past.

I'm glad to see that they are having difficulty with their refund process.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
No tablet support!? Why was it even made then, for phones? That is so counter intuitive its insane. I'm happy with Office Suite Pro 7.

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
I already have and use OfficeSuite Pro which works on my phone and tablet. As usual Microsoft arrived at the party too late. :wink-b:

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I already have and use OfficeSuite Pro which works on my phone and tablet. As usual Microsoft arrived at the party too late. :wink-b:

Since the Amazon App Store came out, they have given out all the major Office suites as the free app of the day. I've tried them all and yes, Office Suite Pro is the best. I do wonder how their Office suite will compare but I doubt I'll try for a subscription fee.

indee2025

Reaction score
Ive got docs2go (bought full key when it was on sale for $5) and the stock office on my Droid...why on Earth does MS believe there is a market wherein they can charge $100 a year for offering the same thing? I've got 2 apps that provide MS Office functionality, I've used my droid to do things like modify word docs, update info in spreads or edit my PPT presentations and upload my edits to the PC then onto a projector for projects...what do they believe they are going to offer beyond that? I heard this on the radio this AM and thought it was part of a skit- I just don't see how they plan to make money...

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
If they can get VBA support functioning, then my ears will perk up and I'll shell out some dough for a subscription.

'Til then...Meh.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
If they can get VBA support functioning, then my ears will perk up and I'll shell out some dough for a subscription.

'Til then...Meh.

If work paid for it, I'd do the sub model. Otherwise it's a purchase for me that I install on a few of my computers and use for years. 2010 was a huge leap over 2007, but from what I've read on 2013 it's mostly bells and few whistles.

I've got 3 of the office suite apps (thanks, Amazon), and they seem decent enough. The limited functionality is a concern for power users like myself, but I generally always have my laptop with me. I'm just looking forward to the day I can "attach" a monitor and keyboard to my phone and have a truly portable workstation - but phones need more power and THEN a full office site becomes needed.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Office 365, and to a lesser extent 2013 are both an effort to generate ongoing revenue for Microsoft and entice (nearly force) you to work in the cloud. Personally I'm unhappy with either product. Just because I'm an authorized Microsoft OEM and System Builder doesn't mean I need to or want to sell what they are trying to push. Still happily selling Office 2010 to my customers.

Just to be clear, it's not working in the cloud I have a problem with.