micro sd card classes

TOMMYBOT

Reaction score
Im looking to purchase a 32gb micro sd card for my DROID bionic. Currently stock planning on going back to gummy soon.

In my research on ebay I saw one listed class 4. And went to look it up. Currently class 2,4,6, and 10 are out there for micro sd cards. Is there a speed you would suggest I buy?
I like to put most of my stuff (apps music pictures Roms) on my sd card.

Thanks for the tips advise and time.
Tom

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I think the only difference between the classes is read/write speed. Higher is better so it is more expensive. Class 4 is usually what is shipped with most Android phones nowadays I think.

IMO you will not miss a fast SD card except when you are writing large blocks of data (like when I copy my 2 gig music library to SD for example). Android apps are so small that the speed difference is negligible.

OP
TOMMYBOT

TOMMYBOT

Reaction score
Thank you for the fast reply that actually answered an un asked question of what speed is the card that came with the phone. And what about running an app from sd card like stylish sprint of faster and games that use data and what not. Then again if its a 4 I have now having another 4 or 6 if its not to much more expensive.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
The class should be printed on the actual SD card itself. It has been on all the ones I have seen.

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
the class will be on the sd card...

i read this one interesting article over on xda... where a guy actually broke down which is the best class for the phones... class four is the best class... while the higher classes have higher read/write speeds for large files... once you get past four... they actually start decreasing in random read/write times... which is what apps on your phone will do... so stick with four... and that will be the best for how your phone will use it

i don't think this is the thread i was thinking of... but it's got all the info i was thinking of
32GB microsd cards - xda-developers

Last edited:
OP
TOMMYBOT

TOMMYBOT

Reaction score
Very interesting thank you. Common sense thank you lol checked my card its a two. I just got a 4. (Same price as a 10) on ebay. Thanks for the info! !