MEGAPIXELS vs Actual Camera Quality

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Good info. The D1 is sort of a brick, so I guess the tech isn't there yet to cram it all in. Oh well, we can always dream.

On the other hand, we've gotten spoiled and obsessed over "thinness". My old flip phone was easily an inch thick and it never bothered me. I'd certainly tolerate something like that if it meant having a great camera (but then we get into the issue of cost, as well).

darkmatter

Reaction score
Screen is a non issue, if they're making a new device, it would easily be upgradeable. Some cams already have decent screens, like the samsung cams.

But even without optical zoom, seeing a phone with a proper sensor would be fantastic. Like maybe the s95 sensor, but without the zoom lens. That would also prevent cannibalising the actual camera market.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Screen is a non issue, if they're making a new device, it would easily be upgradeable. Some cams already have decent screens, like the samsung cams.

But even without optical zoom, seeing a phone with a proper sensor would be fantastic. Like maybe the s95 sensor, but without the zoom lens. That would also prevent cannibalising the actual camera market.

I know it would. What I am saying that to have a 4" screen instead of the S95 3" screen would mean that the smartphone would have to be even larger than the S95 to have that photo quality and the larger screen, not to mention fitting all the phone electronics in there too.

nmos

Reaction score
But if you have room to slap a physical keyboard on the D1, you can always ditch the keyboard and that leaves plenty of room for other things like another, bigger battery and telescopic lense, etc..

That's a good point. I do think that something with the screen of an X but the thickness of a D1 with a decent camera and a battery that'll go a week between charges might sell OK to the older crowd.

Lot of group think right now in the industry between the phones mostly (at a high level) looking alike and all aiming for the same sort of target price point.

I'm a little disappointed that we haven't seen more specialized Android based phones. They wouldn't have to be completely new designs but just variations of existing models. For example they could do a version with larger default fonts/icons plus more audio feedback and screen reading for low vision users. Maybe a ruggedized versions for construction/athletes. Something with a really fat battery and external antenna ports for people who spend lots of time away from civilizaion. I guess it's still early yet.