Maps off by 2 miles

butch350

Reaction score
Are you using both gps and the network to locate you, or just one?

You can get a better pinpoint if you use both options, from what I have experienced.

I'm no expert in radar or gps - but i don't think checking both boxes, (wireless/gps) is going to give you the most accurate reading.

Inside a structure, go Wireless, uncheck GPS.
Outside a structure, go GPS only, the most accurate.

You're not going to get an accurate GPS reading on the Droid inside, and
if you have both boxes checked, (WIRELESS AND GPS), the Droid is going
to most likely default to the wireless reading, which will give your location
close to the wireless tower the system is defaulting to. (which is going to put your real location off)

I think some people just feel if they check ALL THE BOXES availiable they are going to
get a really, really, really accurate reading - and that's just not true. In doubt, ask an expert in the field.

I've tested this procedure a many of times.

Last edited:
OP
lithoman

lithoman

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Turbo
I downloaded GPS status. I am watching the satelite fix numbers go from 1 to 8. What I notice is they are going in and out of fix fast. I waited til i saw 7 of 7 sats fixed on.... then checked my maps and it had me dead nuts on....prob is.. it goes up and down on fixed sats that i am moving all over the town. it wont stay locked on even 1 sat, It goes up and down very quickly.

Does anyone have this happening?

darreno1

Reaction score
I downloaded GPS status. I am watching the satelite fix numbers go from 1 to 8. What I notice is they are going in and out of fix fast. I waited til i saw 7 of 7 sats fixed on.... then checked my maps and it had me dead nuts on....prob is.. it goes up and down on fixed sats that i am moving all over the town. it wont stay locked on even 1 sat, It goes up and down very quickly.

As long as your location is accurate while you're moving all over town you are fine. I wouldn't worry too much about what that app is saying at that point. Once it gets the fix the first time, it should stay locked. Looks like your GPS was either not on or not getting a proper fix the times you were off.

OP
lithoman

lithoman

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Turbo

As long as your location is accurate while you're moving all over town you are fine. I wouldn't worry too much about what that app is saying at that point. Once it gets the fix the first time, it should stay locked. Looks like your GPS was either not on or not getting a proper fix the times you were off.

What I mean about moving all over town was the gps wont stay fixed.
I have a hand held garmin gps that once it locataes the sats your fixed till you go under a tunnel or shut it off. droid goes up to 8 sats then down to 0 without moving. I tried the batt pull to no avail. Think I have a lemon droid.

toddegreene

Reaction score
Where are you when this is happening? Have you tested in several places? Before you return your Droid, check to see whether the problem is device or location specific.

darreno1

Reaction score

What I mean about moving all over town was the gps wont stay fixed.
I have a hand held garmin gps that once it locataes the sats your fixed till you go under a tunnel or shut it off. droid goes up to 8 sats then down to 0 without moving. I tried the batt pull to no avail. Think I have a lemon droid.

I'm still confused as to what you're referring to. Forget how many sats for now. Is the indictor at the top fixed (not blinking) and is it showing you your current location as you move?

OP
lithoman

lithoman

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Turbo
Wow..found another forum and found out this is a alltel problem in south florida. It has to do with locking in on the satellites with permissions.

quote...Getting a new PRL does in fact help some older Alltel refugees get their GPS working on the Droid. The reason is that the GPS on the Droid will not work on just any system. Apparently, the Droid has to get some kind of permissions from the VZW network in order to let the GPS operate. Without a proper PRL, this prevents GPS operation. This is why in most cases you run GPS Status and see numerous satellites (8-10 in view) but they will not lock.

Actually the towers authenticate, thus determine if you are allowed to use the GPS on your phone, they are not simply GPS devices. When Verizon corrected the routing issue in the towers on Dec 18th, all old Alltel customers were then authenticated properly and there GPS worked without any update push or resetting anything on the local devices. This was the South Florida issue

I guess i am not crazy.....

OP
lithoman

lithoman

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Turbo
Ok got the latest prl....still a problem. I called verizon explained the problem iam having and that i found out about it on this forum. Guess what....they know all about it. i was told that this will not be fixed until the new software update hits.
I was told to try a factory reboot after backing up my phone. If I still had the problem try doing the *288 0r is it *228...I forget...................every day til the update. or try replacing the phone.
will post results

bhawks

Reaction score
I read somewhere here that the GPS can be thrown off if the positional sensors in the Droid are out of whack. Some people have had luck fixing their GPS by slowly rotating the Droid on all 3 axes 4-5 times.....

Good luck.

I read this a while back also. One time while in class my gps location was off, so i decided to try this and it corrected itself right after. It has worked for me a few times since also. Like he said just rotate it a bunch of times on different planes... worth a shot

SteveAikens

Reaction score
Something's not working correctly on your Droid. I just beamed up my location on Google Maps. I'm sitting in my office at the back corner of my house. Where I live there is an ally on the east and north sides of my house. Even here in the house, the map shows I am at the south east corner of the house. It shows the streets nearby and the ally exactly where they are in relationships to my property.

When I got the phone, I was in Santa Fe, NM. When I first set it up, I was in a hotel. The Maps app [this was before I updated it] that came installed on the phone was also extremely accurate, showing not only that I was in the hotel, it showed the exact point in the hotel my room was.

In the GPS app, I have a fix at 7/7 sats and the lat/long is dead stable - and exactly where my other GPS shows me to be.

I dunno, maybe I just got lucky but I think maybe you didn't get lucky or something is sure wrong if it's showing you that far off.

OP
lithoman

lithoman

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Turbo
Something's not working correctly on your Droid. I just beamed up my location on Google Maps. I'm sitting in my office at the back corner of my house. Where I live there is an ally on the east and north sides of my house. Even here in the house, the map shows I am at the south east corner of the house. It shows the streets nearby and the ally exactly where they are in relationships to my property.

When I got the phone, I was in Santa Fe, NM. When I first set it up, I was in a hotel. The Maps app [this was before I updated it] that came installed on the phone was also extremely accurate, showing not only that I was in the hotel, it showed the exact point in the hotel my room was.

In the GPS app, I have a fix at 7/7 sats and the lat/long is dead stable - and exactly where my other GPS shows me to be.

I dunno, maybe I just got lucky but I think maybe you didn't get lucky or something is sure wrong if it's showing you that far off.

I think sat I am going to swop out phones. Hope the next one works right.
very frustrating..

SteveAikens

Reaction score
Before you have them change the ESN on your account and activate the phone, you can check a couple functions according to Verizon Support. They're replacing my phone by FedEx Monday for a different issue and I was concerned that I'd swap phones out only to find the issue wasn't corrected in that phone either, and I'd still have to reset everyting - reinstall all the apps etc.

I suggest you take the new phone outside at Verizon and turn on the GPS, then hit google maps to see if it locates you. Otherwise, you have no reason the go through the swap mess.

Good luck.

bmjfarms

Reaction score
I Just thought of something

Menu > Settings > Privacy > Use My Location Is that checked in your setting? That might very well be your issue. I remember when I used VZNavigator you had to have that option enabled to get a proper GPS reading.

If you have it checked, I think I'm out of suggestions, lol.

Can you still get vz navigator on the droid