Maps off by 2 miles

lithoman

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Turbo
My location on Google map has me about 2 miles off of my real location. My
son who has the iphone was added as contact is off by my phone a good mile. His phone shows me off location as i sent him a link to my location from my phone. His Iphone has him pinpointed right on. Do i have a messed up phone??

Anyone else have this type problem?

my sons iphone clicks the link i sent and i am in some crazy location....help i am lost in America.......................

nerdbox08

Reaction score
Are you using both gps and the network to locate you, or just one?

You can get a better pinpoint if you use both options, from what I have experienced.

OP
lithoman

lithoman

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Turbo
Are you using both gps and the network to locate you, or just one?

You can get a better pinpoint if you use both options, from what I have experienced.

Yes I even turned off wi-fi and went with 3g still has me all over the place.

drivinfocused

Reaction score
i had this problem last night, until i realized that i had my GPS off.... one had me about 2.5 miles straigt off and another was about the same.. i think when you have the GPS off it tries to go off of a tower, cuz i made a few calls trying to trace it down and well, no where near me.... then put gps on and it worked well....

nerdbox08

Reaction score
It week track your location via network our gps or both. You have to enable what you want in your settings.

Like I said I get best results by having both enabled. This had nothing to do with wifi really since your call service will pick up the network location

OP
lithoman

lithoman

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Turbo
It week track your location via network our gps or both. You have to enable what you want in your settings.

Like I said I get best results by having both enabled. This had nothing to do with wifi really since your call service will pick up the network location

Yes both are on network and gps. My son and I are in the same house but my Droid shows us 3 miles apart..???

nerdbox08

Reaction score
Have you update your roaming by calling *228?

If you haven't it's option number two.

Sometimes it helps, but not always. Beyond that I am unsure :(

nerdbox08

Reaction score
I Just thought of something

Menu > Settings > Privacy > Use My Location Is that checked in your setting? That might very well be your issue. I remember when I used VZNavigator you had to have that option enabled to get a proper GPS reading.

If you have it checked, I think I'm out of suggestions, lol.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere here that the GPS can be thrown off if the positional sensors in the Droid are out of whack. Some people have had luck fixing their GPS by slowly rotating the Droid on all 3 axes 4-5 times.....

Good luck.

OP
lithoman

lithoman

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Turbo
I read somewhere here that the GPS can be thrown off if the positional sensors in the Droid are out of whack. Some people have had luck fixing their GPS by slowly rotating the Droid on all 3 axes 4-5 times.....

Good luck.
I do have it in my location mode.
What mode is the droid in when you start rotating it. I dont see a gps setup screen in the menu.
I will check my location at work today. Maybe I live in a dead zone for droid....
maybe close to some Alien source.

eliwellis

Reaction score
what exactly happens when you update your roaming by dialing *228?

toddegreene

Reaction score
Get the app GPS Status from the marketplace. This app will tell you how many satellites you are accessing and their accuracy. If the satellites are greyed, you are not reading location data and should do a restart with battery pull.

huskur

Reaction score
Remember....when you are not using "GPS" (not enabled) your position is your nearest cell tower not your true position. Enable the GPS and restart maps and you will be pinpoited exactly.

Truly i believe your GPS is either turned off or not functioning properly

menu>settings>location & security checkmark your GPS there

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Good luck.
I do have it in my location mode.
What mode is the droid in when you start rotating it. I dont see a gps setup screen in the menu.
I will check my location at work today. Maybe I live in a dead zone for droid....
maybe close to some Alien source.

You just might check it again in a day or so too. Every once in a while my GPS goes out of wack on my and can't seem to center my location. It doesn't happen to often but I've seen it once or twice.