Maps 5.0 Coming shortly! Oh Yeah, You'll want it.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
RW-1 thanks for posting this. I look forward to the update. This offline feature, does that mean if I'm in a remote section of PA and lose cell service the maps will still work?

furiousDingo

Reaction score
RW-1 thanks for posting this. I look forward to the update. This offline feature, does that mean if I'm in a remote section of PA and lose cell service the maps will still work?

According to the reviews - yes. Nav will still be able to use the GPS and compass to reroute you without a network connection.

OP
RW-1

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I believe so, until we can play with it to determine how it determines what it caches it is anyone's guess.

My guess is yes, I figure it will cache your route with associated vector maps when you start navigation. If you alter your route while offline no help, but it will keep you on the cached one. :)

Silver Member
Reaction score
maps is out on the market now. make sure you go maps - menu - more - cache settings and check "Prefetch on Mobile" to enable caching services while on the go!

magnus

Reaction score
I believe so, until we can play with it to determine how it determines what it caches it is anyone's guess.

My guess is yes, I figure it will cache your route with associated vector maps when you start navigation. If you alter your route while offline no help, but it will keep you on the cached one. :)

I don't get this. Nav already does that. When you create a NAV route, it stores caches the entire route so that even if you lose signal, as long as you don't stray from the planned route, it would direct you.

How is GM5 different?

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Because vectors take up a lot less space you can store much more of a route than you used to be able to.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Silver Member
Reaction score

I don't get this. Nav already does that. When you create a NAV route, it stores caches the entire route so that even if you lose signal, as long as you don't stray from the planned route, it would direct you.

How is GM5 different?
i don't think that's completely true. a phone call counts as losing signal. i've received a phone call when nav was supposed to tell me to turn, but instead paused my route.