Maps 4.7 running in background

rickt1152

Reaction score
Updated to Google Maps 4.7 a couple of days ago and there are now two programs that autostart and run constantly in backgroud that are associated with Maps. It is the Places Ratings and Friends Locations services that show up in Running Services.

I never saw these running or autostarting with Maps 4.6 and this seems to be causing severe lag and other issues for me. I'm uninstalling 4.7 and going back to 4.6.

Anybody else with this issue?

Sleeve

Reaction score
Assuming you're not using a task killer, which will just cause an app written by Google to keep reloading itself indefinitely and therefore all the effort for your task killer and Maps to fight with each other is the real cause of your slowdown, let us know how the 4.6 pilgrimage went.

If you are using a task killer, wait, really? You are? Still?

OP
R

rickt1152

Reaction score
Assuming you're not using a task killer, which will just cause an app written by Google to keep reloading itself indefinitely and therefore all the effort for your task killer and Maps to fight with each other is the real cause of your slowdown, let us know how the 4.6 pilgrimage went.

If you are using a task killer, wait, really? You are? Still?

No task killer in use unless you consider the script I used to try and keep the launcher (ADW) in memory to avoid redraw issues. (echo ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1 >> /data/local.prop) What I think is happening is with 4.7 the two components become running services and seem to be using resources. My move back to 4.6 returned things to normal, no issues with lag, no redraws, no fc, everything fine. Issue for me was definitely related to the 4.7 upgrade. With 4.6 there is no autostart for the place rating function or the friend locator, so that seems to me to be the issue.

shochman

Reaction score
I noticed the same on my Droid X. Maps 4.7 is using 6% of the battery! I am going back to 4.6 as well until this is resolved.

oysterglenn777

Reaction score
Glenn

I am so happy to see that someone is having the problem that I am actually trying to HAVE. I WANT google Maps to continue to run in the background as I do other things on my phone. I have found that Google Latitude updates much faster when Maps is on vs. when you close it before shuting down your screen.

PLEASE tell me how to make Google Maps run in the background without actually leaving it open on the main screen??!!

I am running a Sprint 4G Android HTC Evo. I have updated maps 4.7 and Latitude

Last edited: